Saturday Night 30/01/10

Zzippy

Myself,Steve(Maver) and Ben(Seagypsy) decided to give it one last try for flounders.It would have been rude not too seeing as we had a big tide smile.gif . The only problem was it would mean either an early morning or a night session.I didnt feel like an early morning not after doing night shifts at work all week so opted for last night.

Got down to evening hill just as the sun was setting and the temprature was dropping rapidly.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

All through the winter I havnt felt the cold,but last night I didnt have my drysuit as the seals split and it has to be repaired.Got the kit come through yesterday so thats another job for me later.So out with my neoprene chest waders which I havent worn for at least 5 years.That took me nearly half an hour to get into them rolleyes.gif .Then my paddling trousers and padling smock on top.

All kitted up so off we went for our 300 yard journey towards Saltans marina.I opted to fish away from the channel and on the flats in 3.5' of water,Dont like fishing deep water with chest waders on.Even though I have practiced self recoveries wearing them I just didnt think it was safe with the temprature as it was.At least in the shallows if I did get tipped out I could just wade back to shore wink.gif

All was still out on the water and the light breeze had fallen away to nothing but the full was blinding.Wish I had taken my shades out biggrin.gif

user posted image

Not a bite in 2 hours so I decided to up anchor and try right on the end of the pipe at Evening Hill.Result....10 minutes later had my PB flounder for the year of 2lb 10oz

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

By this time Maver had decided to go in the cold and us keeping on about takeaway food got the better of him biggrin.gif .

I had just about lost all feeling in my toes so Ben and I followed Steve in.There was alot of shorefishermen dotted all along the path and car park.I think they had a fair bit of action too.

Steve and Ben Thawing out

user posted image

Ben practicing his greeting with an Indian bow ready for the Indian Takeaway on the way home biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

user posted image

Had a great night with great company,just a shame my feet got cold.I would have liked to fish part of the run off.

But at least my Flounder has now got me started on the year long species hunt smile.gif

It was good fun when we first went out it didn't seem that cold it just crept up on us, after about 3 1/2 hours the yaks were white. Yes the thought of a take away did get the better of me well I was hungry rolleyes.gif One thing I noticed was that when we went in some of the shore anglers reeled in so we could land which was good, next time we go hopefully it will be a bit warmer but we had some fun and mark caught which is always a bonus and good company always helps whens it cold looking forward to the next time

Thanks for the comments lads(saint Anns!! rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif They got nothing on us biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif )

Well thats it for me till the end of Feb now.Give me time to repair my drysuit and strip all my reels down,plus do some more mods on my kayak.If all goes well I will be out for the plaice last week of Feb or beggining of March at the Blocks (Eastney)

Also want to try near the fuel barge in Poole.I have heard you get a few there in the spring.

Then look forward to April when the Big Bream move inshore smile.gif