Bass on Tuesday

Swainiac

Had a day out with friends off the back of the Island, started off with the feathering, bagged plenty of small joeys, then onto the banks, drifting, everyone taking fish up to about 5lbs. When the sport slowed down, we changed from long traces and livebaits, to feathers and Pirks, and the bass were falling to feathers!

A few hours at anchor off Atherfield in slack brought in Tope to 18lb, a doggy, a small conger, but alas, no Ray.

Then with the tide picking up very quickly, its back off the Island, closer in, to a mark not a million miles from freshwater, and found the bass in a feeding frenzy! All falling to livebaits again, the final tally was 27 fish, with plenty of small bass returned,.............but an excellent days fishing all the same.

Its only seeing the bass come over the gunwalls today that I realsied the true size of my fish caught in Alderney, I suppose when you are hauling in Pollack to 14lb, Ling to 20lb, and Eels to 20lb a Bass of 12lb appears small by comparrison. But I'm still pleased she went back home............I have five fish in the freezer for forthcoming suppers!!!

Rich