A work shy Friday

Sinbad

had an excellent day off work on Friday.

headed out to the end of the ledge - mackeral were non existant and there was still a reasonably heavy swell. Almost convinced myself, I was going to see by breakfast again. sick.gif

In the end steamed over to the excellsior, which wasnt easy to find, probably covered over by the storms.....and anchored up about an hour before LW. Was straight into a few dogfish, so was quite chuffed especially as they were only lightly hooked .....I got my small hooks back.....and a fish is a fish right ?

Then... bang and screeeeeeeech ! the reel took off, and I lifted into something more decent. First fish to actually fight and take line against a fully bent rod I've had for ages. Twas a reasonable sized Tope, which I lost at the side of the boat, due to dithering (teeth went through the trace). So put something a bit heavier on.... 50lb leader and 6/0, which fished up a further two of arround 8-10lbs. I was really pleased - first tope over the gunnels of this boat, and brilliant sport. They really do go......

Then another screaming run and this time I knew it was something different, as it surfaced about 50yds off the boat, a nice bass of 4lb.

Then a dozen more Dogfish and at last a passing few mackeral which were pressed straight into service, in the usual manner. then I had a few bream, and lost many more - the wind had increased to a force 4 and the swell was making it very lumpy, and it was getting difficult to connect with any of the bites.

Anyway, headed in after that. Lots of yachties coming out of Poole off to the Round the Island race and I was beginning to become a bit of a steering mark. Determined to try this mark again. No fish were show stoppers, but the sport was constant even around LW, and lots of different species.

Paul

Hi Adam,

Mines, Sundance, an Orkney Strikeliner, white hull and cuddy, - As I was motoring in at arround 13.00hrs I might have seen you crossing over to the coastguard lookout. I stayed over the wreck from about 0900 to 1300hrs.

How did you do on Friday ?

Paul