Reel Problem

jack

In his never ending search for bigger and better fish capturing gear,Andy has dug out his old Penn Senater 6/0 reel. [big red jobby].It twinkles nicely;weighs a ton and has a nice noisy ratchet and a smooth winding action....However,no amount of pressure will "lock" the drag.It just quietly lets off line.I have offered to take it to bits,but am reluctant to do so as ;[a].its not mine, I dont really know what to do other than clean off extra oil or grease.I have tried to find a service sheet on the net without success...Would anyone like to offer any advice on the subject,other than to take it to a dealer.{Andy is much too tight for that]...jack

post-5-1188313703jpg

That might not be a bad thing Jack as if you lock up too tight on any reel you could get cut off if you hook a large fish that moves off quickly, maybe best to use your thumb as extra strength by just holding the spool as you pump your fish or weight off the bottom, then its just a matter of reeling in the slackened line, unless its comopletely shot then its probably best to get a new reel wink.gif .

Dom

Strip down, remove drag washers, if any are fibre and contaminated with oil order replacements, clean off metal washers. Re-assemble with the new fibre washers and away you go.

Or send away and have a proffessional service but specify that you want new drag fibre washers. Cost should be about a tenner plus parts plus postage.

Martin