Trailer For Sale

Paul D

Neo's unbraked trailer , suitable for a 17Ft boat, is going to be for sale in around 2 weeks time.

The trailer is a roller trailer with 16 rollers. All the rollers are fixed ( as it has not swinging cradle ) and the bearings were replaced last year. Has new tyre and a spare wheel as well and the winch is almost brand new.

Reason for sale is it has no swinging cradle ( for ease of launching the Orkney ) and I am selling the x-trail so want to get a braked trailer to be sure of towing legally ( Neo is getting a bit heavy for an unbraked trailer with a small car ).

The trailer is an A-Frame trailer, fully galvanised and extremely sturdily built.

Asking price a bargain at

Paul

Looks very nice and shiny... incidently, just a thought.....have Orkney recommended one of these, as they can be a bit picky about support along the keel area ?

Maybe the 520 is a little different to my strikeliner, but I had a local lad build me a trailer for half the price of the equivalent factory unit, and talking to Orkney beforehand, they recommended all the support on the skeg / keel and none on the rollers.

having said that, the strikeliner had a stonking 6" deep keel on it, almost to the detriment of trying to turn the thing at low speeds !

I'm sure you will have done your homework also.

Have fun!

Paul

Paul,

Your comments are correct. Phoned Orkney and they said to get one with support all along the keel ( they use 3 keel rollers ) or you can damage the subframe of the boat.

Oceantrail are going to get back to me.

Great example of how this website is so useful. Apparently you will damage the subframe and this will potentially write off the boat.

Paul,

Those 3 central rollers take nearly all the weight but they do make it a bit more difficult to get the boat on straight. THe rollers do pull it in , but without adjustment, it will roll to the edge or half off the end roller.

If there is any different design, try and get a nice deep V roller that will hold the keel strip in.

Alun.

Excellent service from OceanTrail. Phoned around and now I have the correct trailer on order.

( The model required from Bramber is an RG2/750 which has an additional 2 keel rollers ).

Orkney use Dixon Bates trailers and I was quoted

Hi Paul,

Glad you got that sorted. Orkney are particular about the support reqiured for thier boats so you were wise to check.

I am pleased to be able to stick with the un-braked Orkney trailer for my 520, mainly due to the low (no) maintenance sealed bearings and no brakes. Mind you, as you know you have to bear in mind that in an emergency brake situation, there is 750ks pushing you up the ar..

Regards,

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

The Bramber has sealed bearings also ( Alko ones - I think that is the name of them ).

I have decided to sell the old trailer at a lower price as it is cluttering the drive, so it is now available for

DSC02451.JPG

I see from the photo you had the new trailer stored with the handbrake 'ON' - sorry of I'm teaching egg sucking, but this is bad news on a braked trailer Paul - the slightest amount of moisture in the air and the shoes will 'stick' to the drums making the trailer hard of not improssible to move - you'll also eat up replacement shoes (which aint cheap)

If it will roll, chock the wheels, if not leave it alone. biggrin.gif

BTW - Have you put the trailer on B&O's?? Im sure you will move it on their...

Adam,

Thanks for the advice, I have actually got the trailer stored with the handbrake off now for exactly the reasons you mentioned ( I was pondering whether this was a good idea or not and glad that you have confirmed this ).

The trailer was sitting like that in the photo as I was in a "manoeuvre trailers around the drive" mode and didnt want it rolling away at the time smile.gif