North Sea Swordfish

Les L.

Again some wonderful journalistic bull sh1t.

Common would be the wrong word, but they are very much in evidence in Biscay, the outer Western Approaches and on the continental shelf off Southern and Western Ireland out to the Procupine banks where they are quite prolific.

Essentially they are following the gulf stream which continues up and past Scotland. The area around Scrabster is a great sharking spot even in the depths of winter. Based on the flow of the current, this billfish isn't incredibly unusual as it has only strayed a relatively short distance from the flow that runs further north. The warm seas created by the hot spell we recently had would have pushed it South chasing the mackerel and herring shoals.

Certainly not a big one, but it would have been far better to have caught it on a rod and line than in a net rolleyes.gif

Edited by TomBettle

This reminds me of of when Al and Rup were out, and saw a huge silver fish leap......well clear of the water......they thought Tarpon?????

I did a bit of research, and indeed Tarpon have been known to frequent the northrn shores of the med...so it is possible.

Must remind BB to pack his Stand Up gear for the Nationals at Bridlington next year!!!!

Rich

A eight foot 30-stone portbeagle was cought in net's about 3 miles off sunderland this week in fairness to the skipper they did try to release it but was so entangled in the net they had to land it. it is thought to be one of the biggest cought up here There have been more sighting's of shark by pier angler's at seaham four sighting's last week they were about 500 metre's off the pier. Rich if you are going to bridlington its only another 100 miles further up the road I was down there last week the sea was flat. but I was not down for the fishing more's the pity weep.gif

reg