Warrior 165, What Engine Size?

Brian

A question for the Warrior 165 owners.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif My fishing buddy is about to buy a boat, he's narrowed it down to Warrior 165 or Explorer Elite. There are several available second hand which are within his price range. rolleyes.gif

Engine wise, the Mariner 60hp, 4 stroke appears to be the most popular.

What engine would you prefer? There will generally be two of us fishing out of Poole.

I'll still sell Figment, but the pressure's off.

The 60hp 4 strokes are popular but they are on the edge power-wise for getting a fully loaded 165 out of the hole. The Suzuki is said to be best of the bunch in that respect. If you are not taking three plus people it is not an issue.

Watch for clearance of 4 stroke 60's, the Hondas and maybe some others can foul the transom on full tilt and new hoods are expensive.

The Mariner 60 Bigfoot 2 stroke was a very popular fitment. Lighter, more torquey, mine will go straight on the plane even four-up. Downside is they're noisy (but nice sound) and thirsty, I get 4mpg against Coddy's 5mpg plus with a Mariner 60 4 stroke.

Ideal compromise is the e-tec but they're probably not yet widely available on used rigs.

Steve

hi brian i have a warrior which i bought two months ago and it had a 60hp big foot on it which i have now sold, and have now fitted a 75 etec and it flys along at 34/35 knotts no problem. it is very good on fuel but its early days yet as i have only been on it twice and its also very quiet. the engine is very powerfull and very slimline and has a lot of torque. there is alot of power for the size of the engine.

mark b