Consultation To Boost The Numbers And Size Of Bass

munterhunter

Date: November 16, 2005 Time: 13:45

CONSULTATION TO BOOST THE NUMBERS AND SIZE OF BASS

Defra is consulting on proposals to increase the number of mature bass around the coast of England.

The moves would help fishermen by raising the value of landings, and boost bass numbers by allowing more fish to spawn.

The department is asking commercial and recreational fishermen, conservationists, and industry for their views on moves to increase the minimum landing size (MLS) of bass from 36cm to 45cm. The MLS would apply to bass caught by English fishing vessels wherever they may be, and other UK registered fishing vessels when in the English part of UK fishery limits.

The consultation also includes restrictions on the carriage and sale of bass below 45cm and a complementary proposal to increase the mesh size in enmeshing nets targeting bass from 90mm to 105mm.

Marine and Fisheries Minister Ben Bradshaw said: "I recognise the role of anglers in fisheries management and we need to take more account of their interests in managing stocks of importance to them. I hope that commercial fishermen will also support this measure as increasing the minimum landing size of bass can provide real benefits to both the recreational and commercial sectors."

The deadline for responses is 8 February 2006 and the document is available from www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/bass-mls/index.htm <http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/bass-mls/index.htm>'>http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/bass-mls/index.htm>

Notes to Editors

1. Copies of the consultation document can be found at

www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/bass-mls/index.htm <http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/bass-mls/index.htm> or from Nicola Clarke Area 7E, 3 - 8, Whitehall Place, London SW1A 2HH, fax: 0207 270 8097, or email: bassmls@defra.gsi.gov.uk <mailto:bassmls@defra.gsi.gov.uk>.

2. This consultation stems from recommendations in Net Benefits to consider the evidence for the re-designation of bass as a sport fish. This recommendation is not being taken forward at this time; Defra is looking to increase the size and number of bass available to all fishermen.

3. The Bass Anglers' Sportfishing Society presented Defra with a Bass Management Plan, outlining how they wished to see bass stocks managed in the United Kingdom for the benefit of recreational fishermen. This plan proposed a range of measures including the introduction of a bass licence, carcass tags, bag limits for recreational anglers, a closed season, an increase in the MLS, enhanced bass nursery area protection, net restrictions within 1 mile of the coast and near shore netting restrictions.

Public enquiries 08459 335577;

Press notices are available on our website www.defra.gov.uk <http://www.defra.gov.uk> Defra's aim is sustainable development

Nobel House

17 Smith Square

London SW1P 3JR

Interesting proposal. Having read the referenced article I was astounded to see the part that mentions the proposal would not apply to French and Belgium ships which have historic rights to fish within the 12 mile and 6 mile limits.

I never realised that they had such rights. Previously, I did not subscribe to the view that it was French / Spanish ( any other country you choose ) - fault that the stocks were declining - and English and Scottish trawlers were as much to blame . However, it is astounding that some French and Belgium trawlers have historic rights to fish within UK 12 mile limit.

There are papers available on line that give estimates of the catch returned by english trawlers, who have caught bass undersize, and knowing they are too small, hoy them overboard...dead at sea. The landed catch, bears no reference to the overall catch, and a huge percentage of fish are thrown back.

I was amazed to hear that the best breeding size of bass, isnt the huge ladies, as I'd previously thought, but in fact, fish of around the four to five pound class, so Ive actually been harming the prospects of Bass breeding by keeping five and six pounders........I live and learn. Surely as there are european laws governing our boys in the trawler fleet, the bl**dy spainish and french should heed these too??

Time for a change methinks.

Rich