Copeing With Cookies

jack

Calling all you whizzz kids,Not really fishing BUT... I was having problems with my E-bay site, [all u.s orientated ] They were good enough to answer my e-mail with a very thorough reply. [well theres an occurrence for the record books] They explained that my cookies were to blame,and described how to look at them and to delate any referring to E-Bay.Also stateing that having too many cookies operative would slow my PC. I have never looked into this area before,but I find I have 6 headings of cookies,all with dozens and dozens listed.I opened some to see if I could find what they were for but only got a line of script meaning nothing to me. I have consulted my " PC's for Dummies" book but there is no mention of cookies ! Should I go through all the lists and Delete them ? or will I lose valuable material.sorry to ask on here but there is always someone who has the answer to everything [bloody good club-site this one ] so it's worth a try. P.S. Dinasaur friendly answer required please....jack dry.gif

Jack

I am no computer wizard but I understand that cookies are a little item that helps sites you visit track your activity on their site. Cookies can help speed up your interaction with sites you visit regularly. They can though as you have found out slow your machine and in extreme cases cause pc's to crash.

It is good practice to clear your cookies on a regular basis. To do this open internet explorer, at the top of the page click on tools, go to the bottom of the drop down list and click on internet options a new page will open. In the middle of that box you will see something called Delete cookies, you could also click on delete files and near the bottom of that page clear history and thats it.

Hope this helps

Martin

Another really good program that I use is AdAware. You can download it from here :-

Adaware

Additionally, there is a program called "HijackThis" which creates a log file of everthing installed and running on startup. This is superb for identifying if there are any unwanted trojans / spyware / pop up programs etc.

Removing stuff using Hijack This is easy but it is VERY powerful so needs using with caution. However, creating the logfile is easy and if you have problems feel free to post the logfile here, where I will be more than happy to take a quick look and let you know if all is well.

Hijack This can be downloaded from here :-

Hijack This

Jack

It might be an idea to run adaware as posted by Paul. It is very easy to use and is almost fool/dinasaur proof biggrin.gif I just ran it on mine and found 321 needless beasties and deleted the lot.

I would however advise against using the hijack program unless you are up to speed with computer bits and pieces. Delete the wrong thing with this program and that could be the end of your machine without pro help

Martin