Good Friday......

alun j.

Gorgeous day, after the mist / fog / low cloud cleared.

First surprise was the 'crash' of breakers on the Bar at Mudeford at high water and no wind!! ....... the big spring tide or previous day's breeze ?

Next surprise was how cold the sea is!........ almost 10 C in the harbour but this quickly drops as you travel out and out near the Ledge it's less than 7 C !

No pollack drifting the top of the tide over the edge of the ledge [ too cold ] so went to X-ray to fish the ebb. A bit of action here, first with a blonde ray, then the inevitable doggies mixed with pout and small [ very, very small] whiting [how do they suck in big ragworm on a wide gape 1/0 ??].

Next, tried drifting with baited spoons.........all the way along Southbourne to Boscombe .......nothing!

Back to ledge to try again for pollack at low water but no better...... so used my big juicy rag to target bass in the shallower, warmer water in Christchurch bay with the early flood [ 5 m. and over that all important 8 C. In Clive Gammon's books on bass fishing in Wales, this was the temp. he reckoned was critical for bass to feed........ usually occuring from Easter on....] and success!!

A string of rattles and a few tiddlers before a better 2 1/2 lber. giving a great scrap on light tackle [ 1/2 oz. weight cast across tide and drifted around on the clean bottom.......... no weed !!]

A lovely relaxing start to the holiday.

Alun.

nice one alun and great report i wish i had been out there today instead been antifowling the boat cam back with nice red hair laugh.gif

glad to hear you had a nice day i will tell dad to put it in the book.

sam