Trailer Handbrake

Bob F

Has anyone had any experience of removing the handbrake and "energy store" on a rollercoaster trailer?

In particular, I'm concerned about the proper way of disconnecting or removing the energy store (as Indespension call it). This is the high compression spring that's housed in the tube that sits by the handbrake.

It seems to be under compression to some degree when the handbrake is engaged or disengaged. I may be able to lever the connecting arm off, but then I don't think I will be able to put the connecting arm back on again because the spring is so strong.

I'm sure there must be a special way of doing it.

Ultimatley, I need to de-rust the hitch braking mechanism. This is the part of the hitch which compresses under braking and activates the trailer brakes.

cheers

Bob F.

• 2 weeks later...

Keith from Indespension Poole told me the technique.

So for reference...

First, disconnect the long threaded bar that runs from the axle brake cables to the handbrake, at the handbrake end. There will be a stud with a split pin to remove.

With the threaded bar disconnected, you can now pull the handbrake to the fully on position which releases all the tension in the energy store. If the handbrake doesn't pull up sufficiently to release the energy stored, loosen off the bolt that secures the handbrake and it will give you some more slack to pull up the handbrake past its stop position.

The energy store then literally drops off.

BF