Very good day

plaicemat

What a great day today, sun shining, blue skies and a flat sea far too good to be sat at home so orft to Portland. Original plan was to try for a bass but realised I know nothing of bass fishing at Portland and have no marks. So, with a good sea it was about 20 miles offshore to try for some cod. By mid day we had a dozen in the cool box and as we did not need more we drew stumps and decided to go wreck prospecting. Reasonably successful and then ended up at the Portland Race, or rather lack of race. Not being too rough I was able to study the chart and work out some sort of drift pattern etc which is banked for another day. We had steadily caught mackerel through the day but at the race they went ballistic. A huge shoal about half a mile across pushing bait fish to the surface. We quickly got as many as we needed and then just sat and watched the fish and birds for a while.

An early'ish finish gave us the chance to fillet the catch, clean up the boat a bit and make a reasonable start on the long journey home. Here's hoping the weather continues.

Morning Terrance, should you feel the need to launch from Portland again, and need crew with knowledge, (limited....a little like a company), give me a shout. I'm self employed again now, so can take time off reasonably short notice.

Mark B and I used to fush the area loads in our boat, plus I charter from there, so have built up  fair bit of gen over the years. Its a fab place to fish, really fab.

Im out of there tomorrow, with Josh Simmonds on Fish On!! so will post you any catch and areas covered.

Hope all is well my friend, Rich