Sunday.......

alun j.

Thanks to Paul for a very enjoyable day out.... lots of space and fresh air, hardly a soul about.......... and the sun even managed to come out for a while!!

Not much tide, but enough to take us to fish the ebb in X-ray area ............ dogfish aplenty, but little else.

For a change of scene, we moved south to ClanMacvey [we anchored up on the numbers..... but couldn't find any bottom features]........... slow to start but at the bottom the tide, pout ,of various size, came out to play........ followed by a fair size conger>>>>>>> but just the one. Then quiet again as the tide started to flood, save for a couple of small whiting [ really small !! ]

Over to the ledge for last couple of hours......... had heard there might be some pollack there......... but all we found were more dogfish......... even tried drifting with hokais ........ but this will have to wait till spring I think !!

No problems coming in over the Bar........... but there was a yatch around there, pinned by the southeasterly breeze. despite the rising tide. We tried to offer assistance but were too small and under-powered to pull it . Fortunately, 'Aquafresh' was on its way in too and , after a bit of tugging from different angles, pulled it free, into deeper water in the 'Run'. Moral...... if you go out of Mudeford...... stick close to those three yellow/green buoys.

Think I might try another flattie session or two in Poole over the next couple of weeks ..... but then get the garden ready for spring......... and wait our new season........at Easter ??

Tight lines [ and thanks again Paul].

Alun.

Re - Yacht attempted rescue

I was keen to assist the stranded yacht - if we could. He was aground on the mud, and wasnt going anywhere until after dark - but with a southerly breeze and flooding tide - we thought he'd end up on the beach.

I think I got the easy bit, just to bring the boat alongside... whilst Alun was handed the yachts anchor... then motored upwind and tried to drop the hook in the deeper water.

Just remember looking back to see Alun puffing away holding this whopping lump of iron connected to 20m of chain directly over all our fishing rods !!! blink.gif

I suppose we could have been a bit more prepared, and hung the anchor over the transom, and tidied up the back of the boat a bit etc etc.... but its often not the case when motoring in after a day on the water. Anyway, the soft ground in the run wouldnt hold the anchor.

Still our futile efforts managed to grab the other boats attention, and he came over with a tow and managed to ease the yacht free.

Not a life saving experience, but I wouldnt have liked to have been out there much longer stuck on a bank.

Otherwise, a great day and good to be out once again.

Thanks for all your help Alun. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Paul