HOWs first Sea Session

darnsarf

I am very keen that HOW is not just seen as a day out and we provide genuine angling pathway opportunities for the guests that want to really get into kayak angling as a sport. Martin Payne, an IED victim is proving that the theory can be put into practice and is turning out to be a great HOW story.

We held our first sea session with Martin last week.  He has completed a freshwater series of sessions and despite his blast injuries demonstrated his self rescue abilities.  As a Royal Marine he listens, he’s determined and willing to have a go, making him a pleasure to coach. 

The venue was Plymouth Sound and the preparations started 3 days prior to my trip to the West Country.  Anchor Reels had to be built, trolleys fitted, sea tackle purchased and rigged.  Martins friend was also due to come out with us but unfortunately he broke his wrist the day before the session but Gregg who paddles already will be joining us once his hand is fit enough. I have never paddled the Sound before and Robin (Tinkernut) and Simon Everett helped out with some local knowledge.

I decided to drive from Southampton without a stopover so the van was packed the night before and the alarm set for 0430. It was a frosty morning and with the autumnal colours the sunrise was a bit special. It really is a special part of the country.

2013-11-26232557_zps710bea70.png

At 0900 I met Martin at his house and after a quick coffee and a bucketfull of banter we left for Mountbatten beach by the breakwater. It looked stunning.

2013-11-26232501_zpse68f06a7.png

Unfortunately we were forced to fish the ebbing tide for most of the day, not ideal but I wanted to see how he got on sea paddling and the neap was perfect in that respect even if it meant the fishing would not be at its best. I did plan to visit some marks that I put in the Humminbird that weren’t too far or tidal.  Unfortunately, something very bizarre happened.  While carrying all the gear and kayaks down to the beach my steel flask rolled over the top of the terminals of my GPS/fishfinder  battery. Let the fireworks begin. Best bit of ARC welding I have seen in a long time resulting in battery terminals becoming part of the flask, writing off the flask and battery.  An expensive start to the day and plan B became the only option, if it looks fishy fish it.

20131127_130047_zps49026430.jpg

First things first, it was time to learn and practice working with a drogue and then the slightly more taxing anchoring with the new reels.  As always Martin just got stuck in and came out with A* in both disciplines.  He seems to really get on with the OK Elite, sorry Martin it’s Tina’s.

20131126_113037_zps94cf4edf.jpg

Time to deploy the drogue and try some feathering with large Hokkies. We did this for an hour or so and the result was some small Pollock, Mackerel and Whiting. We ended our final drift in a very nice rocky bay that looked perfect for a bit of Float fishing. So we went through the basics and dropped both Ragworm and Sandeel under floats.

20131126_124507_zpsb152f672.jpg

20131126_124552_zps441fb3d9.jpg

The catch didn’t really change with all the above taking bait as well as the feathers.  At least some of the Whiting were sizeable.  Not a Wrasse to be seen, probably due to the ebbing tide and drop in temperature.  It was officially cold, Martin said so, at one point he even lowered his ear flaps on his hat.  For a Booty that means it’s cold. Really been impressed with the Crewsaver drysuits which provided all the protection he needed.

The early nights meant it seemed we were looking at returning back to the beach before we knew it but we managed a good 4 hours out on the water and had one last opportunity to try another educated guess fishing mark, much closer to the main channel.  Another chance for Martin to try his anchoring and this time we fished with both float from a rod holder  and feathers on the Yuki Orion rods. It was pretty frenetic, with fish hitting both rods.  Unfortunately, nothing big other than some very nice Herring. Martin for the second time decided to opt for involuntary catch and release and his Herring joined the Pollock he accidentally released earlier.  Much banter ensued...... and we headed for the beach.

Martin cleaned the catch while I got the gear back up the beach to the van.

photo2_zps956e452f.jpg

photo1_zps6be676ad.jpg

It was a great day and Martin can’t wait to get back out on Saturday at the Flounder Meet in Poole Harbour and try his hand at ledgering.  The day ended with dinner at his provided by his ever suffering wife Shiv.  They are a great couple who have really seen the benefits of HOW.  To the point where Martin who’s biggest frustration was no longer being able play football with his boys has now found an activity that he can share with them.  They now love going fishing with their dad and are just as competitive as he is. Should provide some more fireworks when they are a bit older.

Arrived home around 11pm tired but very satisfied with how this first sea session had gone.

Also want to mention an amazing session I held with Blind Veterans UK in Brighton on Friday.  We are looking at offering kayak angling to blind veterans next year.  On the face of it, bit of a challenge so Blind Veterans UK offered to look at my proposed methods and coach me in how to assist partially sighted and blind vets.  I worked with blind rehab professional Bryan Kilburn who is himself partially sighted. Bryan is also a semi serious Carp angler so he, like me thought this was a very realistic target.  I took the OK Caper (Tinkerbell) for a trial pool session with him. He was soon casting and hitting a 2m square target, striking, fighting and boarding fish (simulated :0 ) he carried out self rescues, seal launches and was standing up on the Caper.  Needless to say we are both happy that with 1 to 1 coaching this is a definite reality for next year.  Really looking forward to 2014, things are coming together very nicely with several new enquiries for sessions.  Just can’t wait for the winter to be over so we can really get stuck in.

[video src=http://youtu.be/gyG-9YJdWWw][/video]

As always thanks for your support.

Paul

No brill there Jim, you need to get out more. ;)

What a cracking report, glad the benefits of everyone's time and effort are now paying off.

This can only go from strength to strength for all involved.

Looks like Martin has a flair for the fishing too!!

You know what they say Paul always use a rubber for protection, a classic case here over your connections!! :)