Navionics Navplanner... any good?

johnt

I used to use NavPlanner (for 3 years), I always thought it was rather noddy.

I currently use Raymarine Voyage Planner, it handles the raymarine waypoint and route file formats much better than NavPlanner. It allows you to hook up your laptop to the on boat WiFi in much the same way as the MFDs to share routes, waypoints and such like, I've never actually tried this feature though.

Using It

I keep my master set of waypoints (my precious) and routes on the Voyage Planner and regularly download updates to the on boat system.

New waypoints and routes (only the new ones) added while on the boat are copied up to the Voyage Planner master set. These are regularly backed to another disc as well as being on the boat.

The big benefit of doing this is security, accessibility and for me importantly the waypoint description field (there is also a comment field) on the Voyage Planner is very large so I can make loads of waypoint notes that the standard waypoint comment field on the plotter does not allow.

These detailed waypoint notes can be exported using one of the standard output formats to an alphabeticly ordered list which can be printed or saved as a PDF.

Steve