Sunny Monday......

alun j.

........ Had a lovely sunny morning on X-ray; no wind , you hardly noticed the sub-zero temp. [ wondered what that tinkling noise was ... broken glass ??..... no, just water off my bags had frozen during the run out from Mudeford ] -2 C on the quay but it felt more like summer with all the clothes on.

Fishing much as expected ........ a good smattering of whiting between all the dogfish ....... all sizes, with about 10 good ones up to two and a half pounds to bring back. No cod today but did pick up a blonde ray ....... plus several other slow solid pulls of bites that came away [ small rays perhaps ??].

Quite a few pout about....... put one out as livebait....... but it sat there untouched for over an hour, survived several casts and still managed to swim off when I put it back...... tough little things .

Whiting fillets done in the style of my 'roast cod' went down a treat with my guests, it must be amazing how few people get to eat really fresh fish !

Hope others enjoyed the day .. weather now going downhill again !!!

Tight lines,

Alun.

Squid v. Mackeral .........

All my recent experience says squid,squid , squid !!!

Mackeral did have the edge up till the end of november but not now.

Squid is the bait for whiting and picked up my ray yesterday [ even though I was fishing mackeral as well]

I think it may have something to do with what they are feeding on. Although the whiting are often full of food, the fish are pretty well digested....... so they haven't been eating sprats[ or similar] for several days or more [at these lower temps. it will take longer to break down]...... when mackeral was top bait many of them came up coughing up the sprats.

Just a possible link ??

Alun.