Oil pressure sender/gauge testing?

duncan

heading back in Sunday after the first run for 'some time' the oil pressure gauge went to 0 - didn't see it go there, but one minute it was normal and the next it was 0.

it was so far 0 it was effectively off.

the engine also has an Oil Pressure warning light/buzzer and these remained silent - the engine bay wan't full of oil either. It ran fine (but I kept at 1000rpm in the harbour anyway)

so, armed with basic logic I have either -

1. duff gauge

2. duff sender

3. duff wires/connections

any suggestions as to how to check any of these ? (and no, I don't have a dual installation)

Hi, I had this very problem when I was in Alderney this year with a Volvo D4/260 except a non specific alarm went off as well. The oil pressure gauge also went to normal pressure intermittently before finally staying off. The engine went into power reduced mode.

The cause was a duff sender, a new one was fitted and it fixed it. The oil pressure sender had 2 functions one tracks the oil pressure the oil signals a low oil pressure warning, below 8psi, ie very low oil pressure. The new one was a slightly different design and it was in stock, which to me implied they fail often enough to be a stock item.

Hope this helps, what engine is it?

Steve

Yanmar Steve - no electronics!

I have a sender and a switch as seperate units (according to the diagams!) doing the two jobs.

Any sort of intermittent before fail would have suggested sender failure to me, as it is I'm more inclined towards wire/connection, but have to find it!

I have now sourced a couple of useful references on this, and related, senders/gauges so will get to work when I'm down next week - ahead of Weymouth (I hope).

I'll try and attach them for the use of others in the future....unfortunately it appears I'm not allowed to upload them?

Duncan are you threatening to actually go to Weymouth the weekend of the 8th? if so we hope to see you there.  Were going late Friday eve returning Monday or Tuesday

Re uploading if you host whatever your trying to upload in our gallery or on photobucket or the like as a photo you shouldn't have a problem

Martin

they are already hosted docs Martin, I just thought they might be useful to have here, in case the links get changed.

http://faria-instruments.com/site_manuals/IS0100_ApxVII.pdf

http://faria-instruments.com/site_manuals/IS0085E.pdf

and yes, I'm hoping to go fishing again - starting with Weymouth meet.  Trip timing will be weather dependant - I have nothing much else on the whole time :)