Another battery question!!

jay kay

Hi I've recently bought a 30hp for my rib it is electric start on a tiller. Not quite sure what battery to get for it! I would also like to run nav lights and a rule 360 bilge pump on my live bait well, I wouldn't run it continuously just for a few mins now and again. Would I need 2 separate batteries? I'd like to keep the amount of weight I'm carrying down as much as possible

Thanks

Jon

You might want to look up the specification of the outboard and see how many amps it puts out- might help you make your mind up.

As I understand it, some only have a regulator which puts out a few amps, whereas others have a proper alternator which put out a lot of amps.
I've got 2 batts on mine- Mariner Optimax outboard has an alternator which puts out 65 amps so can keep both charged.

Rob has 1 batt, Yam outboard. He can run his electronics and baitwell during the day and batt still has enough to start the motor.

Option 3- In the past we have both carried one of those inexpensive powerpacks for emergency starts in case the ancillaries have run the starting batt too low.

Just go with a single battery. Mine is a Varta Semi-Traction, not sure of the size but 60 or 70ah does me ok with VHF, bait pump on all the time (if you have maccy you need it on 100%) and starting etc etc.

Rob