using iphone navionics on a kayak

seagypsy

Now i know this has been discussed and disputed before about the sensitivity of using an iphone at sea but with the RNLI advising that we carry a moblie as well as vhf i am looking for a case that i can safely keep the water out and be able to keep in my pfd pocket.

As well as that i have been stewing over wether or not to get a handheld GPS as i cant afford to upgrade my F/F and to be honest in my opinion it would be great to be able to use one for all, , therefore i have found this but i am not sure if its available in the UK

http://www.magellangps.com/lp/toughcase/index.html

Also if anyone has used the navionics blue charts app for the iphone how easy is it to use and how accurate is it .I know James (overun) has been using the navionics for a couple of years now ?

I really like the way the iphone works and to be able to load my fishing marks in and to plan trips while i am at work would be ideal .

Sorry to ask lots of questions about this but it would be good to keep it all in one thread

Thanks, look forward to the replies

Ben

Hi Ben, don't use the iPhone on the kayak much, usually under my Drysuit. Navionics very good, used mainly for planning when away from home. Regards dry boxes etc. having been this way in the past with phones and camera's, I'd avoid any case where you can't operate the phone without opening it. Every time the case is opened, moisture laden air enters and then may condense out later, somewhere inside your phone or on the inside of the case lid and drip.

Don't know if the IPhone will operate in an Aquapac, but this is what I've used to protect my 'Kayak' phone over the last 5 years, still have the same phone and it's been lost overboard in a surf landing and recovered from the beach the following day. Did notice slight condensation appearing inside the Aquapac in the early days, solved that by including a desiccant pack. Bake the desiccant pack out periodically i.e when the phone needs charging, works a treat. So now I've desiccant packs in my hook wallet and even inside the fish finder, when it stops rattling I know it's waterlogged!

So if you use a case, stick a desiccant pack in with the phone and bake it out/replace regularly if opening at sea.

Cheers

James

Cracking bit of software for the price...

Used it before i got a decent plotter, and it does everything that does within reason....

Aquapac with a clear front works fine.. Around ur neck and job done..

The only downsides to the software is you cant multitask (not sure on the new version). So if u get a call or want to do something else, it will reload from scratch!

Also any less then a iphone 4 it doesnt run to nice..

Edited by Jw2000uk

Just make sure your waterproof case is really realy waterproof (id test it on an old phone) just because i managed to destroy mine with a little water spillage on my desk at work (a cynic might suspect this is deliberate so you pay for expensive repairs)