Admiralty charts

alun j.

Can anyone decipher the 'hash' symbol??

I bought an old booklet off ebay recently......... to make more sense of my charts!

Have learnt a few things about the state of our bottoms and wrecks with or without lines next to them!! ....... but there's no reference to that hash-like symbol that features in several places around swash channel and across to the patch. I thought they might have been the valentine tanks..... but numbers don't quite match!

Those wiggly purple lines heading south from Hengistbury are, I presume, power cables ....... are they buried ?? ...... I don't fancy snagging those [ jaws 2 - style] with the anchor !!

Thanks for any info.

Alun.

PS. Sat. looking good for a trip out....... light NW.

Can anyone decipher the 'hash' symbol??

I bought an old booklet off ebay recently......... to make more sense of my charts!

Have learnt a few things about the state of our bottoms and wrecks with or without lines next to them!! ....... but there's no reference to that hash-like symbol that features in several places around swash channel and across to the patch. I thought they might have been the valentine tanks..... but numbers don't quite match!

Those wiggly purple lines heading south from Hengistbury are, I presume, power cables ....... are they buried ?? ...... I don't fancy snagging those [ jaws 2 - style] with the anchor !!

Thanks for any info.

Alun.

PS. Sat. looking good for a trip out....... light NW.

I think it may be the point at which tidal flow speed and direction charts use as their datum.

Mad Mike

Or it may be a referance to a good spot to anchor and have breakfast blink.gif

Thanks Mike,

.....but aren't they those purple diamonds, refering to tables on chart?

The # symbols are a bit of a mystery to me; there's only one on the Western approaches to solent chart ......... just NE of the Fairway, halfway to the bridge , in the Needles channel. On the Poole bay chart , there's several near the East Hook buoy ........ something to avoid ??????

Alun.

Thanks Bliss,

I've got the book...... albeit an old one [ but not as old as me !]....... but it's not listed........ so obviously a post 80s symbol !

Wonder if it's rocks or the remains of military manoeuvres/ accidents ??

Cheers,

Alun.

Yes, the # means a foul area or the remains of a wreck, no longer dangerous to surface navigation, but to be avoided by vessels anchoring, trawling, etc.

The wriggly purple lines are submarine power cables. Always assume they are NOT buried. The charts don't distinguish between buried and non-buried. I guess there wouldn't be much point in putting them on the chart if there were buried.

Bob F

• 4 weeks later...