Calshot ??

alun j.

Desperate to get out...... but pinned in with this wind ...... I went exploring launching sites on this side of southampton water...... what a variety !!

Eling and Marchwood looked OK for my little boat to fish the top end for flatties, but I haven't got any worms, the water won't get down in Poole to dig, and they're so expensive to buy [ enough ].

Calshot looked by far the easiest slip [ big concrete ramp, loads of space, parking etc.] and the clean, clear water looks nice and deep close in on the western side.

Q. Is this area any good for whiting, rays or others, fishing with squid or mackeral baits ??

Never fished the area before..... but the water looked calm and inviting on a wild old day like today ..... wet but still reasonably warm !!

Can anyone pass on any tips ??

Cheers,

alun.

Alun, Calshot is fine for launching/recovery, we used to slip the dingy there, when I was a nipper. The fishing in the vicinity of the beach area is pretty empty. If you launch at Lymington, steam across the Solent, and try the water in the area of Hampstead ledge, you will find a good mixed bag there. During evenings in Sumer, that is an excellent Stinger area. Try a livebait miniature Bream!!

If you launch at Calshot and steam up the Solent towards Lepe, and fish over the gravel bar on Stone Point, you can snag some good Bass, also try the entance to Beaulieu River, outside Seagull Island. The Bass here go into double figures, and this is also a good Sole mark. The private beach between Calshot and Lepe has thrown me an occasional Thornback...only up to 7lbs, plenty of flounder and occasional Plaice......lots of schoolies, stuff like that.

Have you considered launching at Gypsy Lane, near Lepe?? Its right near the mouth of Beaulieu River, giving great access to the western solent, West Wight.

Launching farther up southampton Water, Marchwood end, is only neccessary if you want to fish the cahnnel area. Great flatties are caught from all along that foreshore, best fish coming from the Marchwood sailing club area, and fish close in. Whiting are showing here too...only pin size though.

Although not a Guru on the area, I have contacts who fish it weekly, sometimes twice a week, so I always hear how its doing.......and at present....Pants sums it up!!!

Hope this helps...Rich

Thanks Rich. ; just looking for somewhere to get afloat and out of the horrid wind/swells.

Thought the deep water close in to calshot, just up from the castle, looked promising on the chart ........ but perhaps not !! ....... and the tides a bummer too!

Will have to wait till later in the week [ tues. looks possible ]; and will try to get some worms.

Cheers, Alun.

Alun, if you are coming over this way next week, I have my children visiting from Ireland, and will be fishing down at Lepe on Thursday. I usually fish by the river outlet, near to the old Look out Cottage...drop by.

If you want to dig, the rag are still only a spit down at Lepe, dig right on the waters edge in front of the cafe down there.....very easy digging. The deep water channel by the castle is ok....but be prepared to be shifted by the tankes etc....they run very close to that edge. Inside behind the castle is good for flatties also. I'll pillock my uncle for some more gen on the solent..he has a head full of marks....

Rich