Crate?

lofty

Trying to find a milk crate or similar for my Trident that will be tough enough. Max dimensions are 350mm x450mm. Not sure about mounting it on top on a bar as this seems popular but looks a bit top heavy. Any suggestions as to where I can source something,and what do you take in yours? Lofty biggrin.gif

Hiya Lofty.

I only take my crate because it has my rod rest's ,light and flag attached.If I didnt need them I wouldnt take a crate.

When I first started I used to take loads of stuff out with me.Now I just take what I need.It all fits in my centre hatch,PFD pockets and in the bag on the back of my seat.

If I just go in Poole harbour then my Rear Tankwell is empty.

Alot of people use coolboxes(the small ones)

Not sure about the Trident but used a Tesco collapsible crate in my P13's tankwell, plenty strong enough if you cable tie the sides open and well drained.

Otherwise use a plastic box with plenty of holes in the bottom, open top with net or bungies to retain contents.

Basically, any crate needs to be well drained or fully sealed. Partially sealed or poorly drained isn't really practical, the last thing you want is a top heavy crate full of water after a wave breaks over the Kayak.

Also keep the profile as low as possible otherwise susceptable to windage.

Edited by Overrun

Hi lads, Dont know quite what you mean by ''crate'' but noticed in Asda at castlepoint loads of heavy duty storage boxes of all sizes with lids,In the kitchen utensils isle, Hope this may help Derek. unsure.gifunsure.gif

Edited by codpiece

Got a folding one from Staples.Think I prefer the anchor and bits to go in it than in the boat. Added 40mm pipe to corners for rods and net and the zip ties have strengthened it all up. I'm going out for my first trip tomorrow (sunday) in the new Trowler as my wife calls it,conditions permitting. Spent the day making removable racking for my alley. Works well and the yaks are resting on plastic. Anyone out?

Before

user posted image

After

user posted image