Poole plaice (end of the line)

wrigler

I read the angling reports online and in the local echo and see detailed comments of catches of plaice (or other fish) giving details of location in the Poole area and despairingly visualise commercial and illegal fishermen making plans based on this information. They obviously know roughly the movements of fish stocks but I'm sure this information helps them target the unfortunate quarry.

As a veteran plaice angler I remember in past years hardly ever having a blank day and returning lots of undersize fish . OK that was 20 years ago and things change. BUT!!! anybody taking their boat from Poole entrance towards Bournemouth, or sailing to the back of hook sands can't fail to be depressed at the lines of nets put out to catch the poor returning fish . I truly believe that all of these nets cannot be legal. So who is policing the placing of these nets??As previously reported I've even seen nets inside the harbour.

Is there really a fishery protection body ? or has has it been made inaffective by lack of government funding. Perhaps this club could contact the authorities to question the legality of these nets!

Terry

I echo this .....as I am sure most of club members do, but as you say.....lack of funding.......Policing would be time consuming as well as expensive and I am sure there is an element of confusion about what is legal in our waters !! One of the easiest ways I suppose is the "golden mile rule" applying to all forms of fishing other than rod and line...

Then you have the old chestnut of " how do you punish the misdemeanant ". Small fines, gear/net confiscation........ Or should it be a case of a high tech licence tag renewable each year implanted in the net rope.....any found without tag or without the correct buoys at each end are removed to a pound and nets will be destroyed if not claimed after 6 months while leads, ropes, floats and buoys etc can be recycled. All proceeds used to reduce the need for funding. Hey.....even this idea is flawed.......Illegal netters will find a way to elude the authorities and reduce their losses.

Mine field .....Maybe the AT will be considering this as one of their policies for conservation.

Like you and many others I am sure......I wish something could be done !!

Dave biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

One things for sure, commercial fishermen do not need the hobby angler to tell him where the fish are. They are far more experienced and well informed than we are, they have to be they earn a living from it.

Regarding other nets, anyone can set nets so long as its spoils are for their own consumption. Selling fish without a commercial licence is illegal and if you know of anyone doing this then report them to Southern Sea Fisheries HERE. This is the body that is supposed to police these issues. However with only 5 officers for the whole of our area they are pretty much up against it

Martin

Echoing Martin. Anyone can set nets. There are Bylaws affecting nets in the harbour to safeguard seatrout and salmon. The exact rules are available on Southern Sea Fisheries website or ought to be. The only legal issue for nets outside the harbour is whether the fish are sold or not.

The decline in flatfish and other inshore species dates back to the introduction of nylon monofilament nets which are basically too efficient when used in the quantities we see in the bay. Inshore netsmen had good catches for a few years all along the Dorset coast--unfortunately fish populations are now down but instead of a reduction in effort to allow stocks to recover fishermen have bought longer and more nets to try to catch the limited fish remaining. only a reduction in efficiency and fishing effort will halt the decline.

Trawling has always gone on but again as catches fall more effort is put in, boats move along the coast when their own stocks are depleted, fish finding and positioning equipment gets ever better and better so awkward areas near reefs and wrecks can be safely trawled. Fixed net and towed nets compete for the same grounds and stocks--it's the usual story of short term gain and political influence overcoming common sense and the scientific research.

As anglers we arte held to ransom by a relatively few very loud voices with financial backing and until we speak with a similar backing and all from the same hymn sheet we will not be taken into account when it comes to fishery management.

Peter