Berkley Gulp!

djredrupp

Has anyone tried it?! just wondering if it is any good as either a natural bait replacement, or just a very good alternative for the days when i dont have the time to get bait (cba to cycle n get some). Or is it completely useless!?

Just ordered 3 packs (sandeel, lugworm n shrimp) so wanted to know before i potentially waste a day with it!

Dan

there was a report in TSF a while ago when Daz fished a 'gulp' only comp. Something like 50 anglers fishing the shore with about 3 fish landed. I think he reported in saying that many more would of been landed if they were using the real things.

Cod have been landed on carp bolies, bream on sweetcorn, so if they have worked, then i'm sure you have a chance. May be worth spraying the bait with wd40 to enhance it further.

Dan

If you visit one of our friendly competitive websites, http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums and do a general search under Berkley Gulp you will see it is a contentious issue.

Quite simply it appears to be absolute pants if fished as the instructions suggest (an alternative to a normal bait) and fished static.

If, however, you fish it as a lure, I have had very good results with it.

Tom

Even fished at anchor these baits can be lethal, as Mark proved when taking his two good reds. Its all about knowing your target species, and fishing mainly for them. Gurnards cant resist a brightly coloured bait dropped in front of them. If they are down there, you should hit them. Both areas we fished at anchor have produced good reds before, so all was not lost on the day.

The jelly worm type gulps are best fished as a moving bait, the small fish strip types work equally well static or moving/bounced.