Read The Small Print

rich

After much hard work and networking, I managed to secure a temporary winter berth for my Orkney 440 at a yacht marina. Yippeeee! No cold, wet feet for me this winter I thought.

I then contacted my insurance company ( a very well known company specializing in marine insurance ) to advise them that the boat was no longer on a trailer in the drive but on a pontoon in a marina. They came back after contacting the underwriters to say that they could not insure it on a pontoon because it was under 16 foot long.

I have subsequently checked another company who said that they could insure it.

Having only had the original policy a couple of months, I would have lost to much money to change and reluctantly had to advise the marina that I no longer required the berth.

Is it me, but why is it easier to steal a boat under 16 feet than over? After all, they are both tied up with a bit of string!

Rich

Quote........but why is it easier to steal a boat under 16 feet than over? After all, they are both tied up with a bit of string.

It's nowt to do with theft Rich. It's to do with the individual underwriters view of the chance of damage whilst in the water during the winter period of bad weather.

Some of these guys are totally out of touch with reality and are not even boat owners or users. What they do is look at past statistics. Therefore if the incidents of damage on boats under 16ft during the winter they simply exclude that category without reasoning why. In fact they might have only insured 1000 boats through the winter and only 1 was under 16ft but had a claim, and the rest of the claims came to a total of 3 of various sizes. then their stupid statistics would show that 100% of boats under 16ft made claims. Other marine insurance companies insist that their marine underwriters ar boat owners and users, therefore it is these companies who have a far more informed attitude to the insurance of small boats.

Mad Mike