Needles Marks

Member Removed

Maybe a long shot but am after some help for this December the 9th. Going fishing somewhere off the Needles on a friends boat but don't know the fishing area very well. After some help with possible marks and tactics. Assume Cod at this time of the year and would need marks that are relatively easy to find as know the area reasonbly well but not the fishing marks. Boat is equipped with a fishfinder which should help with bottom features. Am expecting some help if possible but not somebody to write out their crown jewels of fishing spots or their magic bait combo just some help to locate some fish!

Cheers in advance

Maybe a long shot but am after some help for this December the 9th. Going fishing somewhere off the Needles on a friends boat but don't know the fishing area very well. After some help with possible marks and tactics. Assume Cod at this time of the year and would need marks that are relatively easy to find as know the area reasonbly well but not the fishing marks. Boat is equipped with a fishfinder which should help with bottom features. Am expecting some help if possible but not somebody to write out their crown jewels of fishing spots or their magic bait combo just some help to locate some fish!

Cheers in advance

If you are going Cod then I use 60lb to 80lb trace.

Pennell rig with a 6/0 on the top and 8/0 (eg: Meat Hook) on the bottom.

Load it up with 4 to 6 whole calamari.

Expect a lot of tide so you may have to fish with more lead than you would normally hope and so where I would hope to use 12lb class you may need 20lb class (or even 30lb) just to cope with the lead.

Don't be afraid to put a small bait down for Whiting:

6lb to 12lb rod with 30lb trace.

1/0 chemically sharpened hooks on a pennel (or use a paternoster / baited feathers).

If using the pennel I have found that a black lug slipped on the bottom hook and threaded up to the top hook with a very small bit of mackeral on each hook works wonders.

Marks:

The needles is full of rough ground, gulleys, small wrecks etc.

In variably there will be other boats there often not fishing a specific mark, but over a general "patch". Simply join them being careful not to anchor to close for everyone's comfort.

Rob, I'd echo Toms advice, but also try and sneak around the back of the Island, in the area of freshwater ridges, plenty of attractive areas to try, just keep an eye on the finder.

Dont forget to bung in a few cuttles, a whole cuttle of say, a foot in length will endure the persistent attraction of LSD's and pout, and being large, offer up a good scent trail which is what you want running to get those Cod sniffing around.

A string of either baited macky feathers, or medium sized baited Hokkais will also do the trick for whiting, and will also take a cod. The largerst fish I saw boated last winter was one of 30lb, taken on the bottom hook of a string of feathers baited with minute slips of macky, intended for Channel Whiting. It was landed on a carp rod, fixed spool reel, and 12lb mainline.

A tip for Hokkais that works for me, is to shine a bright torch on them before you drop them down, as this charges the luminescence, and adds attraction, it also makes the glow last twice as long as sunlight charged lures.

Also, dont be afraid to lob out an uptider, a few good Rays are still lurking about, give it a bash.

Tight lines.......Rich