Are The Edible Crab Any Good For Bait?

Newboy

Hi newboy edible peelers can be deadly but depending where you fish.You also have to abide by the law which you cannot take undersized ones or the ministry will be on your back with a hefty fine.I think they have to be at least 6'' across the caripas but check with the potters.

They tend to fish better closer to the shore than out deep as they come in to moult, bass around the gower coast go crazy for them along with the velvet swimmers.Good for hounds too.

chas....

We used to land our catch of crabs at the end of the trip (neap tide) in Cherbourg and we'd always have a few bins of dead crabs which were unsellable. Sometimes if we had time we would smash open some of the berried ones and press some of the orange roe onto a small hook and the mullet and eels which used to live under the town quay could not resist it. We used to have them shoaling around the boat.

I'm sure if you waited until the crabbers were landing their catch for the week they would gladlly give you their dead hen crabs.

Don't know, don't shop there very often now other than to get lobsters and crabs (big lobsters and crabs pools), their fish prices are dear, the other one round the back of the dock (Johnson?) is usually cheaper and is more willing to do a deal if I buy a fair bit.