Weight for length plaice

ChrisE

We went out for the first time this season on Saturday afternoon.  Bloody cold wind plus the usual start of season teething problems with the boat.  Both bilge pumps were playing up, one wouldn't start the other wouldn't stop, one wiper u/s and most worryingly not a lot power from the engine but enough for us to pop out for three hours.

As we're on this fish recording exercise all fish, all three of them, were measured.  We had two plaice at 37cm and 45cm plus 55cm LSD.

By eye, I would have said that the plaice were roughly a pound and two pounds but I was interested to see if there were any weight for length tables, so searched Google and found none, other than a research paper that stated that all things being equal a plaice weight for length was the same as a haddock or a bass.  

Now I have WfL for bass and interestingly they reckon that the plaice would weigh 1 and 2 lbs.  I'd not have thought that this would work but on the evidence of two fish it appears to.