Poole Harbour Dredge Permit Byelaw

charlieannear

At the last PBSBAC meeting, Nigel H briefly covered the subject of digging Razors (or other clams) for bait or personal consumption in Poole harbour.

Below is info about the intended new byelaw which is designed to allow "recreational" collecting. There would be closed seasons and closed areas (eg bird protection) from next summer.
There is a possibility of bag limits. If they are like the collection limits for worms then I would personally say they are more than fair.
Please can you let the SIFCA know how you feel about this. Communications of support for recreational/person collection are as valuable, if not more valuable than objections.

Ta,
Charlie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear All

The following information relating to the Poole Harbour Dredge Permit byelaw is available on the Southern IFCA website under the news section:

Southern IFCA is in the process of developing a new dredge permit byelaw for Poole Harbour. The byelaw will be accompanied by a permit with flexible conditions including temporal and spatial restrictions, restrictions on catch and gear restrictions.

An Access Policy describes how Poole Harbour Dredge Permits will be issued under this byelaw.

Southern IFCA has carried out an extensive period of informal consultation to inform the development of the byelaw, including an Impact Assessment.

Following the informal stage of consultation and feedback there will be a formal stage of consultation. For a period of 28 days from 10th October 2014 we invite comments, support and objections to our byelaw before applying to the Secretary of State to sign the byelaw so as it may come into force in July 2015. The byelaw will be advertised locally and nationally.

The relevant files are linked to the news item on the website or, for SIFCA officers, copies can be found on the y-drive under byelaws – Poole Harbour Dredge Permit – Information for Officers.

The Access Policy describes how the permits will be issued so have a look at this and other documents and let stakeholders know about them. Please encourage stakeholders to engage through the formal consultation process which starts this Friday and lasts for 28 days. It is important that stakeholders reply to the consultation with both negative and positive comments so that the Authority and the Secretary of State can appreciate the full picture behind why this byelaw is being introduced.

If you have any questions whatsoever regarding this byelaw please ask myself or Neil.

Thanks

Simon Pengelly

Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Officer

Tel: 01202 721373

Mob:07834030309

Southern Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority

64 Ashley Road, Parkstone, Poole. BH14 9BN     

Hi Stuie

You've got it!! Currently you need a Southern IFCA permit to collect clams etc from the shore, by hand (even just a few for your supper or for bait). This new permit scheme means you only need a permit if you are doing it from a boat ie hand gathering will be legal without a permit. We may need to bring in bag limits later. Post up on here the reply you get from Simon (so I will know I've got it!!)

Cheers

Nigel

My enquiry to Southern IFCA -

I'm involved with Poole Bay Small Boat Angling Club.

At our recent meeting the topic of collecting razor clams for personal use was discussed. 

Your proposal to improve regulation of clam and shellfish dredging is very necessary in my opinion, to safeguard stocks and protect the livelihood of genuine honest fishermen. 

However, am I a stakeholder here, as I don't collect shellfish although I do fish in the harbour from my small boat.

I can see no mention in your linked documents to any reference to personal use and collection on foot of shellfish. Is it regulated and  is it your intention to introduce licences for collection on foot from the shoreline?

regards.

Stuart Cooper

Secretary PBSBAC

And the response -

Dear Stuart

Thank you very much for your enquiry about Southern IFCA’s proposed Poole Harbour Dredge Permit byelaw.

You are correct in observing that the new byelaw will regulate the dredging for shellfish in Poole Harbour and it is certainly our intention to improve the sustainability and compliance levels associated with the fishery. Under the new byelaw permits will only be issued to licensed and registered fishing vessels, therefore prohibiting the use of dredges from unlicensed fishing vessels that would fish for personal use.

The new permit byelaw does not regulate any shore based collection activities, therefore effectively legalising the collection of clam species within the Harbour. It is the intention of Southern IFCA to amend the existing Prohibition on the use of a handrake, dredge or scoop byelaw to manage the shore collection of shellfish in line with Poole Harbour’s environmental designations, with the aim of complementing the new permit byelaw and Southern IFCA’s bait gathering code. The amended byelaw will introduce spatial and temporal restrictions on shore based collection activities. We will then monitor the success of these three management measures before considering whether further management for shore gathering activities is required. The Southern IFCA website –www.southern-ifca.gov.uk – is regularly updated with information about our activities and I would encourage you and your members to pay it a visit.

I hope that this answers your questions. We would like to encourage stakeholders like yourself to respond to the consultation on the new byelaw, even if your feedback is positive.

Many thanks

Simon Pengelly

Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Officer

Email: Simon.Pengelly@southern-ifca.gov.uk

Tel: 01202 721373

Mob:07834030309