Anchor rope

Manic Moore

Daves comment re 10mm diameter is quite pertinant here. I use 12mm rope for my tree work, and trying to haul my bulk 60 feet into the canopy on that in winter on a wet day certainly does my tendons in!! I will certainly be plumbing for a larger diameter warp when I eventually get my boat, for comfort reasons more than anything else!

Rich

I'll just add my two-penneth.... ( and be prepared to be contradicted  huh.gif )

I don't think it'll make much difference how long you make the warp if you do use polypropelene.... it floats!

As such all it does is connect you to the anchor... it won't do anything to increase it's holding power.

Good luck,

Alan

Hi Alan,

I'm sure some of your m8's will explain length does matter !!!! rolleyes.gif So you want to be contradicted? wink.gif

Perhaps the bouancy of polyprop reduces the actual weight of anchor and chain thereby making the anchor less effective ????? That's a possible bar room theory discussion.

In the practical world if your polyprop anchor rode is slack floating and your anchor is well set in the bottom - don't worry, you're not going anywhere apart from possibly tying your propeller to the anchor as the tide turns; you're ok!

Nylon rope has 2 main advantages I believe.

Nylon doesn't float - so when swinging on the tide turn you stand less chance of reanchoring the boat from the prop. Also if you need to pull out quick or the anchors 'stuck' and you tie a fender to the end of the polyprop and cast it off, to return later to retrieve - you've created a hazard to all other boats!

Nylon does stretch - an anchor can be 'snatched' out by a swell or yaw if the line doesn't stretch. Therefore with nylon the anchor is more likely to 'hold on' and the stretch is kinder to the deck fittings etc.

There are other nylon advantages including better wear and tear. Poly's ok as a temporary measure which is initially cheap but could be expensive in the long run.

Totally agree with everybody - 12mm better than 10mm for ease of handling; especially when it's cold.

These anchor comments are only my personal experience and I actually only want to learn 'how to fish'. wink.gif please,

Jack

In the practical world if your polyprop anchor rode is slack floating and your anchor is well set in the bottom - don't worry, you're not going anywhere apart from possibly tying your propeller to the anchor as the tide turns; you're ok!

These anchor comments are only my personal experience and I actually only want to learn 'how to fish'. wink.gif please,

Jack

In the last issue of BFM there was a story of how anchor rope warping the prop causing the boat to be swamped in swells, and sank before they had time to send out a sos.

You get the rest right and the fish will come...... (I'm still waiting dry.gif )

These anchor comments are only my personal experience and I actually only want to learn 'how to fish'. wink.gif  please,

Jack

In the last issue of BFM there was a story of how anchor rope warping the prop causing the boat to be swamped in swells, and sank before they had time to send out a sos.

You get the rest right and the fish will come...... (I'm still waiting dry.gif )

Unfortunate to see that the proof of my comments are out there !

If they had been good sailors they wouldn't have used polyprop. If they had been aware of the polyprop risk they could have prevented the 'prop wrap' situation and having got it caught around the prop it should not have sunk the boat - if they knew what they were doing !!!

I'm sure nobody in the club is that stupid .

It's becoming more and more obvious that people should take training and become qualified before becoming a boat skipper.

TIP: If you must use polyprop to anchor attach a short length of chain (or any weight) with a rolling hitch to the anchor line and let out another half a boat length of line before the tide turns.

Like I recommended use 'nylon' for anchoring attached to at least a the boat length of chain. - let's go fishing and anchor safely biggrin.gif

Just thought - perhaps is best to just go drift fishing wink.gif

Jack

I think it was a small boat hence the low stern (some bigger boats have low transome too). Once the rope got warped round the prop and the tide pushed the boat stern into the swell, and that was it.

The lower the stern the easier to CUT the rope! But they really shouldn't have got themselves into that situation.

There should always be immediately available a sharp knife for such an emergency - it has been proven a serrated knife will cut thru rope most efficiently.

A good knife shouldn't be a prob on an angling boat wink.gif

Jack