Dorset Wildlife Trust

charlieannear

Good photos. Speaking of DWT does anybody know if there is further progress on the DORIS survey mapping? When they launched it they said they intended to carry on and map the rest of the Dorset coast (Lyme Bay and Poole Bay) but that was a couple of years ago and I've heard nothing.

Is Doris dead or alive?

Duncan

Good photos. Speaking of DWT does anybody know if there is further progress on the DORIS survey mapping? When they launched it they said they intended to carry on and map the rest of the Dorset coast (Lyme Bay and Poole Bay) but that was a couple of years ago and I've heard nothing.

Is Doris dead or alive?

Duncan

I'll contact Peter Tinsley and find out.

Thanks Charlie.

This is an extract from their original launch release...

"Following the success of the project, there is now an opportunity to continue the work over the next 2 years, to extend the map to the western tip of the Isle of Wight in the east, and to cover the whole of Lyme Bay in the west, giving full coverage of the Dorset coast."

Here's hoping...

Duncan

P.S. For anybody reading this who doesn't have a clue what we're on about, DORIS was a combined project to create a comprehensive map of the sea bed in (some of) our area, taking in underwater camera observations, dive reports and - most interesting - detailed sidescan sonar images, all of which are geo-corrected and published using Google Earth. At the moment it's basically Weymouth bay plus a little bit both sides. You can find it at...

http://www.dorsetwildlifetrust.org.uk/c2/uploads/doris.kmz