Blue Anchor 12/02/2011

Overrun

Bit of a mini-meet and a good turn-out, unsurprising given the recent reports. Did wonder what to expect from the tides which usually are quite strong at BA, particularly the ebb. The plan was to use the last part of the flood to ferry east and north of the charter's usual spot off Watchet, fish across HW and make for the mark on the reef if the ebb became too strong.

Headed out early with Dave, Steve and Mark, not sure where Nick was rolleyes.gif but hopefully Stuart could operate the GPS laugh.gif . Andy and Shaun launching later to fish over the reef. Lovely sunny day with little wind and a small swell. Copped a breaking wave in the chest on the launch , which apart from a refreshing face wash, also dislodged the FF plug slightly, problems later.

Measured the tide speed at the reef, less than 1 knot with 2.5 hours to HW. Easy paddle out, approx 2 miles, we anchored ourselves over relatively clean ground to the north of the many private boats.

user posted image

Mark picked-up fish from the off, Thornbacks and Codling. Dave, Steve and myself watched in anticipation. Tide dribbled away to nothing, after an hour voices behind, in the distance Nick and Stu approaching from the west.

Stu set-up alongside, while Nick set-off north in search of rough ground after dispensing bait to me and Dave. Shrewd move, as pretty soon we could hear him into something, didn't need the radio, which was just as well as mine had died anyway, doh!

Held my ground for while longer, would need to reset the anchor over the tide change, so move then. Stu hooked into a nice Conger, quite a fight on a tiny rod. Steve then hooked a real lunker, 30lb plus, by the time I got to him it was dragging the Kayak around, had the anchor warp in it's mouth and proving a little feisty! Camera readied and it bit through the trace, gone, ....doh!

Back at anchor, there was a bleep and my FF sprang into life spontaneously, followed by another and off. The cycle repeated, until a good kick laugh.gif left it on and refusing to switch-off.

Dave headed across to Nick, short while later the rest of us followed, caught my one and only fish of the day, small Thornback:

user posted image

Nick still banging out Eels and Thornies behind me, bitten off a few times too.

user posted image

HW and a squall came through, wind rose from 0 to +20mph in minutes, Hinkley point beckoned ohmy.gif didn't last, within 30 minutes we were back to a pleasant day. The ebb feeble, even this far out, we moved back towards the reef. I actually went right into the reef although the others parked 800 yards further off. Didn't stay long, as out in the evening and needed to be on the road by 16:00.

Enjoyed the day, and great to see all again, plenty caught including large Eels, Thornback to 10lb and Codling to 4lb, sadly no monsters as during last week. Thanks to Nick for the bait, Andy and Shaun for helping with the unloading and loading, back again soon.

Cheers

James

Edited by Overrun