A disgusting act

Afishionado

'Callous youths' kill baby swan

The youths "deliberately" drove their boat at the family of swans

Three "callous youths" seen terrorising a family of swans, killing one of the cygnets, are being hunted by police.

The gang was spotted on the River Stour deliberately driving their boat at the swans, killing one of the cygnets.

The two girls and one boy, aged 14 to 16, were in a 10ft white inflatable boat with a steel A-frame on the river near Iford Lane, Bournemouth, Dorset.

A police spokesman called the incident, which happened at 1930 BST on Sunday, a "particularly heartless and cruel act".

This was a despicable and callous act and I'd like to find those responsible

Pc Dave Williams

An eyewitness reported seeing the group driving their vessel at the birds.

After killing one of the baby swans, the youths turned back and aimed the boat at the remaining swans.

Pc Dave Williams, of Dorset Police's marine section, said: "This was a despicable and callous act and I'd like to find those responsible.

"I am hoping that the public will be equally revolted and come forward with any information that they may have."

The boat was last seen heading eastwards along the River Stour towards Hengistbury Head and Christchurch Harbour.

The police helicopter was called out to search the area but found no trace of the teenagers or their vessel.

It is an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act to kill or injure a swan.

Mad Mike