sea clothing

lofty

Hi all.

I intend to stay afloat through out the winter and in the past have gone paddling in my Yak longjohn , gul kag and neoprene cloves and boots.Whats everyones opinions of dry suits,flotation suits ,waders, etc for out and about on my S O T. Don't intend to fall in but no one ever has. Obviously the kit needs movement and what I currently wear suits me for paddling comfort but i'd be interested in what you guys tog yourselfs out in. Regards

Lofty

Hiya Lofty.

Nearly all kayak fishermen wear dry suits with warm clothing underneath in the winter months.

A few years ago I tried a floatation suit in the harbour,just to see what it was like.I got very hot paddling and cold once I stopped.I then tried to do a re-entry which was very hard with a water logged suit on.

I also tried neopreane chest waders which kept me nice and warm.But you need a good paddle cag and also have a belt on round your waist.I only tried them in the confines and safety of the harbor.I would never go out to sea with either though.

Always dress as if you are excpecting to get wet or fall out your kayak.Its suprising how quick you get cold if not dressed correctly and a simple task like getting back into your kayak could soon wear you out and then your in trouble.

Also in the colder months we always go out in pairs especially if fishing out of the harbor.