Scotty Rod holders on Moken 12

Sprinter

Hi,

I could not fish today, its a little windy and the wife wanted us to do some gardening, as my Kayak had spend a week plonked on the grass i promised to move it so we can cut the grass and all that other great stuff you have to do.

So before i moved it i needed to fit my new rod holders

Anyway i took the screws out of the flush mounted holders a week ago and pulled the factory fitted rod holder out, it has a bungee cord attached which is used to secure the rods during any capsize, this is decided to undo and refit with the new holders and was definitely a mistake as i then had to feed a large cord back through a tiny hole

Previously when i sized up the mount and the mount position i decided i needed to take the old flush mounted holders off, after a rethink i decided a new and better approach would be to remove the short screws that held the flush mounts in place, put the Scottie mount on top and secure with stainless screws that are long enough to do through both mounts and into the hull.

I sikaflex sealed the flush mount i had removed (then replaced), put the new ones on top and screwed them in, a simple upgrade carried out ion a way where i can easily remove and retain the Scotties if i ever decide to sell the Moken.

Here it is and i now need a chance to test them.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by Sprinter

Ben,

they will take a little gettng use to as the butt of the rods come into the leg area of the kayak although thre is still loads of room, i can alter the angle to adjust this out (but i have only just thought of that) so they did restrict space a little but not too much, i still had more than enough room to wriggle about.

I did clip them with the paddle occasionally when on the move but that was when i was being sloppy so not really an issue, certainly they are fine for trolling, which i did for a while

when tied off to a bouy or at anchor the positioning was good making it easy enough to grab whilst i changed rigs or bait Etc.

I think that they are far enough forward to allow me to get back into the kayak and twist onto my back easily enough but they may add a little more restriction when i swing about and get my legs in properly, some re-enty drills will let me know and i will do some next time i am out

I like them though and i suspect they will be staying, unless my Son steals them when he gets the Kayak he has just decided he is going to buy.

I have also fitted a fish finder now and found that it made paddling about more interesting as i can look for features as well on the bottom, that should help once i start using it in conjunction with the GPS, stupidly i did not look for any marks in swanage before the comp but thats a lesson leaned i guess, and of course i have now replaced the net over the front compartment with a hard cover, that has been a great addition as the net use to catch the hook quite often but now it just slides over the plastic cover, which in turn will be used to mount the sail that i have not yet purchased.

all part of the master plan biggrin.gif