What is light tackle

toma

It's all subjective mate one mans light tackle is anothers wrecking outfit (almost biggrin.gif )

I like to fish light and as an example here are three outfits I use........

5ft carbon bait caster Shimano coriolis bait cast reel with 5kg spider braid.

I use this for pluging, spinning, and trolling a red gill. Fishes up to 4oz lead

7ft carbon Shimano spining rod Shimano 4000c center pin with 3kg spider braid

I use this for bream, flaties, bass, pollock and whatever. Fishes up to 2oz lead

(I have caught and landed bonito, dorado and barracuda to 20lb on this outfit just after I bought it in Sarasota FL)

11ft carbon Carp rod shimano multiplier with 10kg spider braid

I use this for light up tideing and drift lining for bass Fishes up to 4oz lead

None of these outfits are any good when anchored and I want to BOTTOM fish in anything over 30ft of water with a tide running. But on the drift they work fine and boy do you know you've got a fish on!!!! laugh.gif

However ther are those who will say that I am fishing way too light and that they prefer heavier 'light tackle'.

I hope this is some help, but as usual the most simple of questions brings forth a deluge of contradictory answers ....HeHe laugh.giflaugh.gif

Mike

Afishionado thanks for that,

I hope this is some help, but as usual the most simple of questions brings forth a deluge of contradictory answers ....HeHe

Thats fishing for you, it would be a sad world if we agree on everything mate biggrin.gif

It was a light 20lb class rod Martin

Andy

I would consider fishing with a 20lb class rod and 15lb line as medium weight fishing. I use 20lb class tackle for most of my downtide work coupled with a penn ld reel loaded with 25/30lb braid.

Mike has explained what he considers to be light line tackle and I would agree that is fishing very light. I like using a 12lb class rod with a 6000/7000 reel loaded with 20lb braid for general fishing, and a spinning rod loaded with 10lb line for inshore stuff.

All the above are of course tide dependant as the amount of weight you need to hold bottom will dictate what outfit you can comfortably use. Not good to try and haul up a 2lb lead on light spinning gear

Martin

Thanks for that Martin. biggrin.gif

I was wanting to have a bash with one of my carp rods, 2.75TC.

The way the tides are running now it would be fun.

There was no pull at all last Sunday, but that was then sad.gif

I could still take my 12foot carp rod and my fixed spool reel loaded with 15lb ghostline that i use for pike