Mal Thomas

Near miss whilst at Anchor off Southbourne.

Having been through the process of reporting as perscribed, Iam now going to buy the loudest airhorn, I will give them 5 loud blast's. Hopefully it will embarrass the rest of their crew whilst carrying out a nuatical signal.

I have just replaced my 12v horn (not an air horn)and its pretty loud but the warning is mostly going to come via my vhf built in 30watt PA system and a string of Verbal Commands .:grimace:

Never used in anger YET 😉

2 hours ago, Mal Thomas said:

Having been through the process of reporting as perscribed, Iam now going to buy the loudest airhorn, I will give them 5 loud blast's. Hopefully it will embarrass the rest of their crew whilst carrying out a nuatical signal.

May not be a bad shout. The auto pilot scares me. I take it you didn't get far with the reporting? 

5 minutes ago, Bassdaze said:

May not be a bad shout. The auto pilot scares me. I take it you didn't get far with the reporting? 

Had responses to all, but authoritity on the open water for recreational boaters in our waters seems very little, unless you cause serious injury.

Seems like the air horn and a willingness to cut the anchor line it is then! It's a busy bit of water though but fishy so ill put up with it! 

I was at anchor on the 100' contour a few years ago, and had the seacat ferry come straight at me, despite flying an anchor ball and being off his normal direct path.

I called him on ch 16 on full power, asking him to change course immediately to avoid a collision, which he did, but not after complaing I shouldn't be anchored there. His wash from quarter of a mile away at his 30 knots was considerable.

I mention this for 3 reasons:

- No airhorn would have worked. Relying on one would have given a false sense of security

- Vhf 16 only worked because of positive identification and a manned bridge (note that ais might help in some cases)

- Ultimately you might be in the right, but dead, with a fast unidentifiable vessel not taking care.

I agree with those comments that you still have to keep a good lookout while at anchor, be prepared to cut fishing lines and drop a buoyed anchor, and have to be prepared to move quickly at the last moment.

Comments about improved awareness campaigns all make sense, but will never legislate for the numpties.

The correct flare to use would be a white anti-collision flare, but if they haven't seen you already, I wouldn't wait for it to burn out before cutting lines.

It all happens incredibly quickly, partly as a result of speeds, but also the delay in identifying and confirming a potential collision., and the fact the horizon is only 3 miles away on a calm day, if your eyes are 6' above sea level, meaning threats are always identified late.

The best item of safety equipment in this situation is the hand bearing compass, spotting a likely risk, and if the bearing remains constant, it is.

Regretfully, an angling skipper isn't really ever off watch, even though they'd like to be.

Horses for courses, if it's a ship they will have AIS ideally call them using that, if not VHF chl 16. I have taken to leaving transmitting my position where ships are likely giving them every chance to avoid you.

For something small a horn is a good.

Always be prepared to move.

Need to have a plan in advance.

For me I don't plan to cut the anchor rope I will manoeuvre the boat taking account of it boats arn't that wide but if it's big ship might have to. I'm not going to be sinking from the wash.

And if it's a rush nobody is going to be winding in we will be moving! Sort the mess out later.

I believe bridge to bridge VHF communication channel is channel 13. I have used it to contact ships in the past

But of course VHF 16 should be monitored

neither of those work with some weekend sailor in his superyacht that you cannot see a name on

Silly old Tiddler.

I gave up Motorbikes in favour of Boating.

I thought it would hurt less if I fell off ! !

Seems I was wrong :(

Ah well !

Never mind !

I prefer Boating ! ;):smileys-fish-430558:

It even happens in the harbour !!!

Anchored up back of Brownsea yesterday in about 4ft water which was nearly 24 degrees.

A Targa went to drop their anchor about 10 yards to port and about 15 yards in front of us just as the tide was about to ebb, I told them we would be turning on the tide soon and we could turn and hit them.

They did retrieve anchor and moved off, makes you wonder though.

It even happens in the harbour !!!
Anchored up back of Brownsea yesterday in about 4ft water which was nearly 24 degrees.
A Targa went to drop their anchor about 10 yards to port and about 15 yards in front of us just as the tide was about to ebb, I told them we would be turning on the tide soon and we could turn and hit them.
They did retrieve anchor and moved off, makes you wonder though.
That just sums up the people we are talking about, clueless and inconsiderate at speed or at at anchor, the sea will never be big enough for some people.

Sent from my P00C using Tapatalk

On 7/25/2018 at 9:41 PM, fisherman1055 said:

A fixed 12v one will make a lot of noise. You can get an air horn with an air pump but this needs a lot of power to run or 24  v

Ive found a hand blown one can be very effective especially those with a diaphragm.

no drain on power and and 100% reliable. So long as you’re breathing.

To start racing from the committee boat at work we have fitted a 12 volt horn that looks the same as the ones fitted on Alfresco and other Club boats, but has a higher decibel level. 

On the specs the difference in decibels is not massive. but this horn does sound a lot louder.

They come as part of an autohoot yacht racing starting system

https://www.r-p-r.co.uk/autohoot/ah_standard.php