Sign in to follow this  
mickburder

Can you eat Tope?

I beleive tope are now protected with sports status and therefore are not to be taken at all. MLS used to be 20lb I understand. And yes, they used to eat very, very well!............ tongue.gif

Mick

I believe tope are protected Now at last.

Even if they are not we are anglers not fisherman, so please do not kill one of our best sporting fish.

Feather up a few more mackeral and eat them, taste great and full of Omega 3 so very good for you. Or just treat them carefully and eat the macs left over after fishing.

Charlie

That made a very good read and highlights how delicate these fish are. Especially important is to keep them horizontal and NOT use a rope to the tail to bring them aboard for a photo.

Edited by olimain

Thanks for the information chaps, it was caught using one of moonfleets bream rigs with a tiny strip of mackerel and squid as bait and size 6 hooks, never expected to catch one on that sort of rig.

First time I have caught one. It was about 24in long and returned safely, it looked as if it could give quite a nasty nip if it got the chance.

It was caught just by the coastguard lookout at Hengisbury about 500yds out, if I want to try and catch another what tackle and bait is best?

thanks Mick

For those who wish to weigh a tope/hound/shark here are some slings to use.

http://www.norfolkfishingtrips.co.uk/vshop...asp?CatFilter=1

or here

http://www.ukshark.co.uk/weigh.htm

The head goes in the pocket which helps keep the fish calm.

I have one of the ukshark models and very good it is.

Dave

cool.gif

I know this is an old post but I found it very informative, I have yet to catch a tope from my own boat but, now I know what to kit up with to do it in the future !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Middle of the solent towards the west are a few banks. Always seem to be boats feathering and catching there.

Thanks I will pay extra attention to that !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best Mackerel Ive ever eaten was aboard an old school charter boat, they were boiled in seawater with a splash of vinegar. When the tail meat starts to peel away from the tail fin yank them out they are done.

Boiled Mackerel? sounds yuk but its not done this way, it has to be seawater

PJ

Sign in to follow this