New wreck to fish?

Afishionado

Printable version

Ten rescued from sinking cruiser

The motor cruiser sank in Poole Harbour

Six adults and four children have been rescued from a sinking motor cruiser in Dorset's Poole Harbour.

A Mayday call was sent from the 45ft boat Freedom at 0948 BST on Saturday, saying the boat had hit something and was sinking off Brownsea Island.

Portland Coastguard helicopter and both of Poole's lifeboats were scrambled.

Nine crew were rescued by a local safety boat and taken to shore. The skipper stayed with the lifeboats to try to save the boat, which later sank.

Weather conditions at the time of the accident were very poor due to fog, Portland Coastguard said.

Spokeswoman Tonia Hallett said: "The Salterns Marina Yacht Club boat was able to respond to the Mayday and was on scene within minutes, by 0959 BST.

"All but the skipper were taken to Salterns Marina.

"The skipper transferred to the Poole inshore lifeboat with the hope of being able to put a pump aboard the vessel, but unfortunately the vessel has now sunk."

Mad Mike

Jeezz! Wonder what he hit?? The gravel banks just of Brownsea???

I was out a couple of hours later with the family but didn't see anything.

Bob F.

Ah! We got the whole scoop from one of the Poole charter skippers at the boat jumble.

Apparantly this boat is well known by the professional skippers. The unlicenced owner of it takes out diving parties, claiming that all occupants are friends and do not pay for the trip. The boat was old and as it was unlicenced had never been safety checked. When it sank it had 10 aboard and safety equipment for four!

There is an unmarked small boat channel going over the gravel bar that stretches from the fuel barge towards Aunt Betty bouy. It is basicly taking one side of a triangle instead of two and a short cut. Well this dude in his overloaded rotten hulled ancient wooden boat missed the 10ft wide little channel and ran his boat at full chat onto the gravel., thus ripping the rotten soft double diaganol wooden bottom out. It didn't so much as sink, more it failed to float when the tide came up. As the owner was disliked by the professional skippers there is a certain amount of merryment at his misfortune.

Mad Mike

Oh no not at all. The guy radioed for help and the lifeboat and the police boat were there in no time at all (the RNLI & the marine police base are only a couple of miles from where it happened). It's just that the local scandle chit chat around Poole Quay is that there are more folk pleased about it than sypathise with him.

Mad Mike

Martin, the point I was attempting to make was - What are the comebacks if this guy is unlicensed?? I know the precedents like endangering life at sea etc etc, which the relevant constabulary will/may persue, if they believe it is in the public interest because if the passengers were "friends", then no complaint is likely to ensue, but which authority monitors the licences? Are they issued by the local authority?

Also, if one puts to sea in an unseaworthy vessel, one would expect that if the relevant checks havent been done regarding licensing, then it follows that there may be no current insurance held by the skipper, a bit like if a road fund licence is not displayed, to a cynical ex copper, I would expect that it wasnt forgetfullness that caused this, but an absence of MOT test certificate and/or current insurance!! 99 times out of a hundred, this follows. Just asking.

regards, Rich

According to the Echo today :-

Boat sinking

Rescue as boat sinks near island

FOUR children and six adults were dramatically rescued in fog-bound Poole harbour as a 45ft-boat sank near Brownsea Island.

Visibility was less than 50ft when the ex-naval harbour boat Freedom hit a submerged object, ripping a hole in her hull.

Skipper Robin Maggs made an urgent Mayday call as the wooden dive charter boat started to list and within minutes a number of small boats managed to find the stricken vessel in the gloom.

As water flooded the lower deck the passengers and Mr Maggs' wife Irene were taken off by the Salterns Marina launch, which had been ferrying boat owners to nearby moorings when it heard the distress call on Saturday morning.

The two family groups managed to rescue most of their possessions and were taken to Salterns Marina as a Poole RNLI crew arrived to try to save the boat.

But despite the best efforts of senior helmsman Paul Singleton and his team they were unable to pump water out of Freedom quickly enough to stop her vanishing beneath the waves.

Within half-an-hour of striking the unknown object in the Wytch Channel the boat had sunk.

All on board were from the Swindon area but the holiday trip was brought to an abrupt end when a loud, metallic bang rocked the bottom of the boat. Mrs Maggs said: "We hit something very solid and hard. The water was coming up right away. Within five minutes the water was on the bottom of the lower deck. She was listing sideways. We were getting people in our tender when the Salterns Marina boat arrived."

No one was hurt in the incident and Mrs Maggs thanked fellow sailors who had responded quickly to the Mayday call.

quote FOUR children and six adults were dramatically rescued in fog-bound Poole harbour as a 45ft-boat sank near Brownsea Island......................

clipped

quote . We were getting people in our tender when the Salterns Marina boat arrived."

TEN people into a tender?? That must be one big tender!!!

AS with all 'stories' there are many versions, some may even be near the truth biggrin.gif

But if he was in a fog then IMO he was going far too fast if a semi sunken object could stove in his hull that badly.

Mad Mike

I don't think he was in fog - the fog bank, within which vis was down to 50m, was sitting outside Poole Harbour (according to the skipper Sealine F43 I was chatting to at the time of the incident).

Sounds like either the slipper was distracted and hit a mooring buoy, or the gravel bar mentioned above or he went over the reef SE of the Fuel Barge on the way into the Wytch Channel. In either the first of last he could well have come to settle a long way from theh impact.

Interesting the latest article refers to 'charter vessel'. It will only take one of the 'customers' to make the police or rescue services aware of the fact that they had paid for a charter (as opposed to contributed to the costs of a friends trip) for the MCA to get involved after an incident such as this - basically they will have to pursue.

I am now led to believe that it went aground on the soldier bank but was unlucky when the tip of the stock of an old anchor that was 95% sunken into the bank came into contact with it's hull............

The anchor has been recovered and is estimated at 6-7 tons!

This is goign to get messy for a whole lot of reasons, some indicated above, others rumoured and there is the small matter of insurance

I am now led to believe that it went aground on the soldier bank but was unlucky when the tip of the stock of an old anchor that was 95% sunken into the bank came into contact with it's hull............

The anchor has been recovered and is estimated at 6-7 tons!

This is goign to get messy for a whole lot of reasons, some indicated above, others rumoured and there is the small matter of insurance

6 to 7tons! what a anchor!! ohmy.gif

I 'spose it was just a 'fluke' that he hit it laugh.gif

Whoops insurance?!?!?! Surely he wouldn't have been daft enough to take people out whithout insuring himself and the boat? ohmy.gif

Mad Mike

Only a bit sticking out - most of it is clear of barnacles etc; but agree unfortunate that he hit it as no one else has.

I believe that some people only insure their craft 3rd party....................

Now if PHC new of the existance of a potential hazard and didn't take steps to warn people.......

One to run I believe

actually I am not sure that is the question (sorry sad.gif )

I believe the first question is closer to whether there is a duty to inform about potential hazards outwith marked navigation channels..........

If it was in one then I agree with your interpretations of the next question

actually I am not sure that is the question (sorry sad.gif )

I believe the first question is closer to whether there is a duty to inform about potential hazards outwith marked navigation channels..........

If it was in one then I agree with your interpretations of the next question

I tend to agree Duncan, I think there is a strong defence in favour of PHC potential argument "We guarantee the marked channel, he was not in it"

Mike