Question for the Diesel Engineers

fisherman1055

Dear All

This is a question for the technical experts.

I need some advice on changing the oil on my Merry Fisher diesel engine.

I was expecting to use a hand pump and plastic tube to pump the oil out by hand.

However the technical data sheet for the Nanni 4.340 states there is an oil drain pump.

Is this oil drain pump an aid to changing the engine oil ??/

or part of the engine operating system.???

If it does help change the engine oil where is it?? and how do you use it.?

I have googled this but only get the info on Nanni engines.

Can any one help.

Thanking you in anticipation

Tony

Tony,

The pump referred to is for oil changes. On my Nanni 4.390 the manual also mentions an oil drain pump but nothing was supplied with the boat (not purchased new). What you should find is the oil drain pump connection, a metal pipe running from the base of the sump up the RH side of the block to somewhere level with the rocker cover. It should have a rubber cap held on by a jubilee clip. I use a Pela vacuum pump with an adaptor sleeve (or duct tape wink.gif ) to connect pump pipe to engine pipe.

Alan.

Tony,

Forgot to mention, you probably won't be able to get a plastic tube down the Nanni drain pipe, there appears to be a restrictor or one-way valve part way down, hence the adaptor/tape I use. The tube supplied with a Pela pump will go down the dip stick tube (just) but this method leaves a drop of oil in the sump.

Alan.

Hi Tony

As Alan sys the pump is probably an optional extra and may not be fitted on all engines.

If you do not have it, but intend to keep the boat getting one and fitting it will make the job much easier, now and for future oil changes..

However if you have another type of pump it can be simply connected to the tube mentioned by Alan, making sure you have a good tight connection.

To make the job much easier run the engine until at running temp, then shut it down and pump the hot oil out. [it is then thinner] be careful its hot.

after empting sump, change the filters.

If you are going to do the job yourself. Dan has just done a writen project all about this for the Marine Skills center.

Its long and in depth but I am sure he would not mind me emailing you a copy to read before you start.

Of course if you have any doubts or need more help just call.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Many thanks Alan and Charlie

I closely inspected all sides of the engine for the oil change pump and could not find any pipe coming from beneath the engine or a pump so have concluded that it does not exist on this engine.

I decided to change the oil on Sunday and took boat and wife out to warm the engine. We met some friends in the harbour and i changed the engine lubricant and Lorraine took on more lubricant with her friend.

Charlie I would welcome a look at Dan's project just to reassure myself that all has gone well. (I have been changing bike and car engine oil for 35 years) but you never know. The boat did run ok and got us back to Rockley which I took as a good sign

Tony