Licence for Sea Anglers?

Maverick Martin

They make a valid argument and assuing that it is introduced along with charges to the inshore fishing fleet and the proceeds are used to prevent overfishing then looks reasonable to me.

If we can get fishing like they have in the USA where there is a similar licence fee then I for one shan't be complaining.

I support it as long as it's for the good of fishing.

However, I can't but think much of the fee will be swallowed up by pen pushers, computer systems meant to take care of it but over budget and useless.

And what about the cost of employing people to police it?

What will we get in return? Unlike it is the case with rivers where the EA takes care of footpaths, cleaning/clearing rivers and streams, in some cases restocking fish.

I doubt very much there will be more or safer slipways, cleaner water, restocking the fish. We fishermen pay

I support it as long as it's for the good of fishing.

However, I can't but think much of the fee will be swallowed up by pen pushers, computer systems meant to take care of it but over budget and useless.

And what about the cost of employing people to police it?

What will we get in return? Unlike it is the case with rivers where the EA takes care of footpaths, cleaning/clearing rivers and streams, in some cases restocking fish.

I doubt very much there will be more or safer slipways, cleaner water, restocking the fish. We fishermen pay

With the immense number of miles that this new department will cover, the fact that such a small area of our inland waters is policed by the officers from the EA, unless, of course, there is a sustainable run of Salmon where it is in their interests to police, huge areas will go go unpatrolled.

There is also the issue of training the Police to prosecute offenders - none of the other 120 officers in my sub division had heard of section 77 of the theft act, the part that deals with theft from water forming part of a fishery - then when the file is together, persuading the Crown that it is in the public interest to prosecute, then getting Magistrates to stop dishing out conditional discharges to theives who "Poach", not STEAL fish, yes I feel it will be a great idea.

Cynical old me thinks it wont come about JUST yet!!!

Well in favour of the fee for commercials though, and happy to pay more for my sport.

Regards, Rich

In California we used to have to hold a license before you could get into a Charter boat. The skippers were obliged to check them and could be fined if they didn't.

not sure how far this was to the rest of the population eg: shore and private boat anglers but i woked as far as policing it.

The difference here was that you knew your money was going towards artificial reefs etc and you could see things happening in terms of improvements.

Paul J

Same thing in Florida Paul. A full charter included your licence. A bare boat and you had to have your own 'visitors' permit. And boy were they checked !!

Dead sexy dudes on police jet skis Dark blue wet suits and white bone domes. Carol was REALLY enthralled asked if they wanted to search her!!! Mind you what a differance in attitude. Whenever we were out if they came past they always peeled off over to us with a "Hi Mikey Boy Hi Carol" and stopped for a chat.

It was them that told us that in Florida if you were caught fishing without a licence you whole outfit would be confiscated........ wait for it................

That's rods and tackle, the boat, the trailer AND the car that towed it!!!!!!!!!

One could buy them back at the monthly county auction!!!!

Mad

Mike

Same in New Zealand

No licences but if you get caught over quota for the day or with undersize fish or fishing with the wrong method [ mostly for trout on worms or spinners] the whole outfit is taken

Rods reels boats trailers cars the whole outfit.

when we were there I read about some boats taken out on loan by non fisherman relatives, they returned with undersize fish to show what they had caught to lose the boat they had borrowed to the bailiffs.

I bet the boats owners were really chuffed!!!!

Not to many small fish landed in NZ though and the stocks are on the increase

They do not have other countrys raiding their 12 mile limits as we do though. Nor a weak government who give our fish to the EEC.

I had better stp now before the preaching starts

I like others would pay for a licence if it was used to back up some method of increasing the chances of some fishing in the future. but I think I read about licences that were to be given to commercial fisherman without much quota control and sold to anglers with a bag limit.

They can stuff that idea, as far as I am concerned.

Charlie

There is an English Nature report for which they are after comments.

English Nature Report

Also it has to be said that this is the same weak government that is endeavouring to ban Pair Trawling in the UK Bass fishery - this should be applauded surely.

Pair Trawling Ban

I also don't fully go along with the "give our fish to the EEC" argument. This implies that we are blameless.

Would the North Sea be fine if we didn't have the Common Fisheries policy ?

Why did we have cod wars with Iceland ?

I will lend you my "History of Cod" book. It describes in graphic detail how to destroy a fishery !!