Article 47 - Fabulously Funny, But So True

TomBettle

Nice one fellas but if you read some of the other strands you will realise that we have been recognised and assured that we will not be subject to quotas by the top man in Europe so perhaps it is time to stop blaming those who have stuck their heads above the parapet for us lot. They listened to the voices of anglers and were greeted by a deafening silence when it came to anything but whinging.

Tight lines

Peter

Nice one fellas but if you read some of the other strands you will realise that we have been recognised and assured that we will not be subject to quotas by the top man in Europe so perhaps it is time to stop blaming those who have stuck their heads above the parapet for us lot. They listened to the voices of anglers and were greeted by a deafening silence when it came to anything but whinging.

Tight lines

Peter

Peter

Don't be fooled. It is only just starting. The fall out is about to happen and then we will have to properly start fighting our corner.

I'm not fooled at all and I would not dare suggest that any struggle is over but living with the paranoia of conspiracy theory is negative and self-defeating. I just have the certainty of history that engagement is the only way forward and frivolity on a forum is fun but will achieve nothing. Only by having representation and reasoned argument is any progress possible.

I still firmly believe that action and legislation at European level is the only way that international fish stocks such as bass, cod and mackerel will survive in any quantity.

Incidentally if the EU did bring in rules to curb recreational fishing as opposed to recreational angling then inshore, lightline fun fishing might improve dramatically and shore angling would be a viable alternative when it is too rough offshore..............I am dreaming now.

I'm still waiting for anyone to suggest how else anglers might be represented if organisations such as the Angling Trust are so unrepresentative of sea anglers views as to be counterproductive. Personally this thread sent me straight to my chequebook and I signed up because the extreme of sentiment expressed on this forum, however lightheartedly intended stinks of ignorance, entrenchment and a willingness to sit back, do nothing then wait and say "I told you so"

PETESNR, I AM NEITHER PARANOID OR STINKING!! BUT NEITHER AM I STUPID OR BLIND, I AM JUST WISHING TO FORM AN OPINION ASSISTED BY KNOWLEDGE FROM PEOPLE WHO KNOW A GREAT DEAL MORE ABOUT THIS TOUCHY SUBJECT THAN MYSELF, WHICH UNLESS I AM WRONG WE ARE ALL ENTITLED TO DO, MAYBE JUST MAYBE YOUR OPINION IS NOT THAT OF THE ''INFORMED''MAJORITY THATS MY RANT OVER, GOOD NIGHT. DEREK. wink.giftongue.gif

I'd love to know where the "informed majority" get their opinion from. If it is from a subtitled rant from the Nazis I rest my case!

Petesnr, The ''informed'' majority are just that, they form their opinion by gathering and disecting information from wherever and forming that opinion and be it right or wrong they are entitled to it. THe Nazi jibe is cheap but the film is still bloody funny, about the only thing in this that is. Now lets stop bickering just because we dont agree with others and and at least agree to disagree if we must. Derek. biggrin.giflaugh.gifbiggrin.gif

I am happy to agree to disagree with anyone but I am still mystified as to the identity of the people who are going to represent us if we don't like the present incumbents. Nothing I have read has put forward an alternative (apart from doing nothing!) to the representation we have at present.

And if my views are so unrepresentative of the membership I am only too happy to pass the reins to some-one who does reflect the opinion of the 'informed majority'. Please queue up! I am quite happy to just go fishing.

What is abundantly clear is that the hot air on a forum does nothing to further the cause of the 'hobby angler' unless it puts forward some positive proposals for the engagement with those who must be obeyed rather than slagging off the poor devils who have made government aware of the our concerns. They would be only too happy to bring in fresh blood so perhaps some of those with strong views could join up and get into a real rather than virtual battle.

If anybody does fancy the job of Conservation Officer just call PJ.

Peter

I think you are taking this all a little too personally.

The Youtube film has been put up by someone somewhere on the Interweb who feels strongly that Article 47 is a joke.

It's brilliantly funny and has stimulated more reaction from Sea Anglers in two days being there than Angling Trust (or the NFSA previously) could hope to do.

As it happens, if you think nothing is happening apart from chat on forums then you are very misguided.

I know for a fact that I as an individual am a tiny percentage of the people that have written to DEFRA, SSFC, MP's, MEP's, CIPS and so on.

Angling Trust barely even recognises sea angling and it only does it begrudgingly.

If we want to be counted, relying on them will do nothing for us at all. We have to stand up as individuals and be counted and more and more of us (except Paul J as he has a dodgy hip) are doing just that.

Tom

The response to the video is meaningless in terms of taking our position further. I am sorry that I can't believe in the brave new world of impassioned individuals lobbying their MP's. Individual response to government on an emotive issue such as Article 47 has been brilliant on this occasion but how many will continue to write in?--eventually you need people who can attend meetings and not just sit in front of a screen--you can't do it without a representative body. That is not just my opinion it is a fact. If we are just a collection of individuals and Defra asks for a representative who are you going to send? And how are you going to choose? We can't wait for this situation to arise and then flounder around looking for somebody to be our spokesman.

If Angling Trust fails us it will be a self fulfilling prophesy brought about by anglers not being prepared to support a single campaign. This is the story of the last years.

Incidentally I don't take it personally but if I don't represent the clubs views then the membership need to find someone who does because I have been hammering away on conservation's behalf for too many years to change now and when I was elected it was made clear that the poison chalice was mine to get on with in my own way--which I have done.

Peter