Spring Cleaning....Spring weather !

jack

Sunday 13th. With the forecast still giving much wind,and still few fish about Andy and I decided to make use of one of his few free days to Spring clean the boat.

We rang and had it put in from the racks at Cobbs [ One of the drawbacks to this system,is that you cant really drop in on your way past and have a check,or do odd little jobs.]..We began by separating reels and rigs from the various rods.

Oh dear,what happened to all those good intentions to wash everything down in fresh water after each trip.? The boat mostly always got a wash,but not so the fishing gear.Resorting to a little light weight hammer and chisel work helped with the separation.Revealing just how salt resistant some of the modern day reels are.

The least tarnished reels were The older heavier Penn's.Of the newer reels,Shimano's were least affected.With Mitchell Garcia and modern Penn's showing some signs of corrosion,Whilst a certain brand allied to a famous name of a poet and playwright faired poorly.

We were amazed to realise that we had rigged for use 9 outfits.and another 4 rods still bagged and 3 unused bagged reels.

The amount of made-up rigs ;floats; shads;hooks ;lures;etc,was almost unbelievable,considering we usually just tie rigs as required whilst fishing.We took home [for checking/attention ]. 2 large stacker boxes,2 holdalls,2 carrier bags of out of date tinned food,a dozen out of date flares.2 spare winter weight flotation suits,spare coats;fleeces;waterproofs; hats;gloves;knives;landing net;a keep net [live mackeral ] scales and God knows what other surplus items which must have gradually accumulated. Hands up anyone who has no idea if their boat is in a similar state...We will now get more M.P.G. surely.

We also worked in shirtsleeves on a sun soaked deck,but drove home in lashing rain and sleet.SPRING IS HERE.!! Can the fish be far behind ? dry.gif jack

Re. your comment Gordon,You know that name was'nt my main target.....However,

on reaching the last reel in the bag,I could not believe the state of Andy's 7000.

Its metal-work was white furred all over with green Verdigre in every joint and gap.,wheras my own 6.500. was fine...Strange but true...jack

My "cheapo" - Taiwanese ABU 7000 is looking a bit worst for wear.

Now has one retainer left from 3 and the plate on the side has fully sheared off and the metal is somewhat corroded / pitted. ( I must post a picture ! )

Still works though as hauled up 2 eels on the weekend smile.gif