Ship Sinks

Paul D

Charlie,

From the MCA news site:

At a quarter to one this morning, the general cargo vessel `Ice Prince sank in very rough weather approximately 26 miles south south east of the Portland Bill

50 09.9N 002 02.08W

Rob

Edited by rob francis

Hitting a section of timber at 20 knots is a real risk. A collision between a boat travelling at speed with a piece of timber will punch through a fibreglass boat like a knife through cheese

Note that as it gets more waterlogged, it will float lower and lower in the water, and will be almost invisible at speed.

Just to put this in perspective, a hole of 3" diameter will allow approximately half a TON of water in every minute, according to the RNLI. This won't give you enough time to put a lifejacket on - so please wear them regularly!

I strongly advise keeping a very good lookout during the next few months (not just days) as this stuff will hang around, and this adds real danger to coming back after dark in the next few weeks particularly.

Take care out there chaps!

Mike

Safety Officer

most of my earlier post was tongue in cheek. Except for the part about looking out for the timber.

As I had the numbers.

Those numbers are close to another wreck out there, so it may be worth a look in a couple of seasons

I have just seen the wood raft on the TV and it looks a bit nasty. Take care out there when the weather allows.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Edited by great white

I read elsewhere that the timber can end up floating in the vertical position once waterlogged, with the top just on or below the surface. In this position the vertical movement of the timber with wave action concentrates a lot of energy into a small area and can easily punch through a boat without the requirement for a high impact speed. Not very encouraging ohmy.gif Best we encourage the scavengers out there ASAP.

A.

aaannd the police are aiming to prevent 'scavangers' taking the wood which floats ashore,,, which means more ends up being washed back out to sea, and eventually puts a nice hole in someones boat!

planing and hitting one laterally, may miss the hull, but it would take the outboard right off!

Dan

Presumably it will go east and then up north?

coincidentially, i recently did a simulation at bournemouth uni, for geog, using computer models, incorporating tides, prevaling winds and currents to determine where an oil slick would land from a sunken / holed ship (strangely in the same area as this one!)

the results were the first touch of oil on the tip of portland bill, then inside to the harbour where it hung around for a bit, eventually dispursing over the bay (not chesil beach side)!

interesting to think about, though that was for oilslicks, not wood, and was for a hypothetical situation (though remarkably similar to this one!)

Dan

Thats interesting Dan

were your calculations mostly on tides with a slight wind allowance

and would they have been much differant allowing for more windage for the timber above water or would the extra effect of tide on the submerged part cancel that out?

I wonder if the boffins have been busy calculating that at teh uni today

Charlie biggrin.gif

Might need to rethink the model as the wood is apparently starting to turn up off the Needles...... tongue.gif 

hahahaha yeh... lol

well the simulation was for an oilslick, using tides and winds of the specific scenario, so i suppose that the wood would (haha) be effected differently by these things, so turn up somewhere different!

though it was pretty interesting to see how they use the computer sim to predict where these things will reach shore, and how the cleanup teams are mobilised and deployed over the suspected landing areas!

hopefully the wood wont dispurse too much!

Dan

Dan

I am sure it will dispurse soon enough

Once it hits shore on the Isle of Wight, I am sure it will "dispurse" to garden sheds, garages, and patio decking all over the Island laugh.gif

Charlie

Surely you are not suggesting the islanders are a bunch of thiefing b**tard......

I read elsewhere that the timber can end up floating in the vertical position once waterlogged, with the top just on or below the surface.

You're right - a mate of mine was confused to see a seagull standing on the water 12 miles out - it was stood on the end of a telephone pole floating vertically!!

As to the simulation - there's a good French webpage about the simulation they did when the Ievoli Sun chemical tanker sank in the Casquets TSS.

Just received this at work

QUEENS HARBOUR MASTER PORTSMOUTH

NAVIGATION WARNING

NAV WARN 1/08

Drifting Timber Easter Approaches To The Solent

1. MARINERS ARE ADVISED THAT A FIVE MILE RAFT OF FLOATING TIMBER REPORTED TO BE SOUTH OF THE ISLE OF WIGHT AM ON 17 JAN IS PREDICTED TO ARRIVE IN THE EASTERN APPROACHES OF THE SOLENT DURING THE EVENING OF 18/19 JAN 08; THIS COULD SPREAD INTO THE SOLENT DURING 19/20 JAN.

2. SOME OF THE TIMBER IS IN LARGE BALES APPROX 3M X 3M AND 10 M LONG WHILST SOME IS BROKEN UP. CAUTION SHOULD BE EXERCISED WHEN NAVIGATING IN THIS AREA.

3. ANY SIGHTINGS LARGE OR SMALL ARE TO BE REPORTED WITH APPROXIMATE POSITION TO QHM PORTSMOUTH ON VHF CHANNEL 11 OR BY TELEPHONE ON 023927 - 23689 / 23694

4. THE FOLLOWING PORTSMOUTH NAVWARNS REMAIN IN FORCE 68/07