Orkney Fastliner 19

Member Removed

Hi all,

This is my first post on what looks like an informative site.

I'm thinking getting an Orkney Fastliner 19 and I wondered if anyones knows anything about them or has any opinions on these boats.

I understand Orkneys are supposed to be safe boats and as this will be my first boat this is a main priority.

There seems to be a few for sale on boats and outboards for around 6 to 8k i guess this is the going rate for them. Can any one tell me when they stopped making these as I can find very little information on the net. I also would like to know what sort of cruising speed you could expect from say a 50hp motor (this seems to be the average sized engines on the boats I've viewed on B&O).

If any one can give me any info good or bad I would greatly appreciate it. Hope I havent been to vauge.

Thanks in advance, Ian

Ian

Hi and welcome to the Poole Bay Small Boat Angling Club website, hope you enjoy our clubs home on the net.

The fastliner is an excellent sea boat. The hull form is a semi displacement which will achieve around 22knots flat out and cruise at about 15/17knots. They are stable boats but do give a rather hard ride. There layout is typical of a lot of small angling boats, plain with cuddy and no creature comforts. They make an ideal safe anglng platform

Hope that helps and others will no doubt add there views

Martin

Thanks for the quick replys Andy and Martin,

Just checked out the link, good website and a couple of good video clips which show the orkneys underway cheers.

At 15 - 17knts what would the fuel consumption be roughly with a 50hp engine, I've given myself a budget of a litre of petrol per mile, would that be about right?

Ian

Hi mate

Big welcome to PBSBAC.

As with others, a good all round angling platform, basic, but useable.

In my opinion Orkneys are too light at the bow which is where the hard ride maverick described comes from. This also can make low speed handling interesting (when the wind gets hold).

That said, it is a good boat at a sensible price.

Tom

Hi Tom thanks for your reply,

I have noticed that the nose seems to point a bit skywards on the Orkneys when underway. It somehow doesn't seem quite right lol.

Thanks for the input.

Another question. If you moor and out board engined boat in a marina how do you get around flushing the engine with fresh water after every use. Is it easy to put muffs on while you are hanging over the back of the boat and can you run the engine in the tilt position, a bit of a newby question, but I really don't have a clue. What do other users do with their marina moored outboard powered boats.

Cheers Ian

Re: Fuel consumption, it would depend on what engine was fitted. If it was a 4 stroke or new generation 2 stroke ( ie. E-Tec, Optimax, DFI ) you should be able to achieve that comfortably ( I run a 520 which is the same as the 17ft Strikeliner with a 40 HP E-Tec and get around 1 1/2 NM per litre )

The boat does give a bumpy ride if the sea is slightly lumpy and you try to go at speed ( so simply slow down smile.gif ).

Upside is when the sea is really lumpy you can make comfortable progress by running the boat at a slower displacement speed. Economy will then be much better than a similar sized planing boat.

The boat is very light so easy to tow and retrieve. Freeboard is pretty low on the 520 ( being double skinned ) so rails are essential. ( Not sure what the freeboard on a fastliner is like ).

As with all boats it is a series of compromises.

BTW: Make sure that the boat has been sitting on a trailer with support along the keel as you can damage the subframe on an Orkney if this is not the case.

If you want to see what the ride is like and the handling will be like you are more than welcome to come out for a trip on my 520.

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies and thanks Paul D for the offer of a trip on your boat. Unfortunately I live in Essex so Poole is a bit too far to go, other wise I would jump at the chance.

Can anyone shed any light on the outboard flushing in marina's question I asked earlier in thread, please smile.gif .

Cheers Ian

Hi Ian

I have heard of a couple of methods;

1/ Large container (old plastic 5 gall water container) filled with fresh water, at the bottom or side have a hoze-lock fitting, with or without hose, then a length of hose which connects to your flush muffs.

Slip the muffs on and connect up the hose and water contaier. Gravity will supply water to the engine. DO NOT REV THE ENGINE as limited water and pressure.

This method is often used for those who have to beach launch and need to warm the engine before launching so it starts and gets away quickly.

or

2/ Sitting in your dingy or pontoon slip a smallish barrel over the leg of the outboard. Fill the barrel with fresh water and start the engine. Don't forget to tie the barrel to something as it could sink when full of water!

Just thought if this one

3/ If you are on a pontoon with a hose and fresh water, tilt the leg, slip on the muffs and connect the freshwater hose and away you go!

Not so easy if you don't have these facilities.

Hope this helps

Coddy

Hi Coddy thanks for the reply,

Option 3 is the one I was thinking about. The marina I have in mind has fresh water taps on the pontoons, I just wondered if it could be done. I wasn't sure if you could start the engine in the tilt position and how hard it is to lean over and actually fit the muffs. I am 6ft 2 so shouldn't be a problem smile.gif.

Another question of you don't mind biggrin.gif. Would you recommend a survey on a Fastliner 19 with a value of around 7k. Also, have you any idea how much a survey would cost? I have trawled the net (excuse the pun) for prices and can only come up with a figure between 100 to 600 quid.

Hope you can help.

cheers Ian

Hi Coddy thanks for the reply,

Option 3 is the one I was thinking about. The marina I have in mind has fresh water taps on the pontoons, I just wondered if it could be done. I wasn't sure if you could start the engine in the tilt position and how hard it is to lean over and actually fit the muffs. I am 6ft 2 so shouldn't be a problem smile.gif.

Another question of you don't mind biggrin.gif. Would you recommend a survey on a Fastliner 19 with a value of around 7k. Also, have you any idea how much a survey would cost? I have trawled the net (excuse the pun) for prices and can only come up with a figure between 100 to 600 quid.

Hope you can help.

cheers Ian

Ian

If a boat is more than throw away money then always have a survey.

I am supposed to know what I talk about, but I would always have a survey done on any boat over 12 months old.

Boats are often illtreated and live in a very hostuile environment. They are not built in the same way as cars and so whilst boat number 100 maybe perfect, number 101 from the mould may be an absolute "Friday" boat.

If the money you are paying is more than you would be preprared to lose then get her surveyed.

Expect to pay +/-

There's a couple used for commercial rod&line bassing round here - one has a mahoosive engine on the back and fishes some mentally rough places - ABM can tell you more. Survey is a good idea; although there's not a lot to go wrong, the cost of repairs on a boat under 10k make a 'write-off' more likely.

Thanks for the replys,

A survey is pretty much a must then, which I would want fir peace of mind.

Coddy or anyone else, how do you rate your Warrior as a safe boat? I've been looking at them Boats and Outboards and they don't seem that much more than the upper priced orkneys. I've kind of been going along the train of thought that bigger is better ie the fastliner 19 as opposed to a 16ft boat, but the more I read the warrior seems to be a very popular and fairly seaworthy boat. Most of the time it would only be 2 fishing and occaisionally 3, with a very rare 4 person family (non fishing) trip just outside the marina up the river (crouch), so maybe the warrior would suit my needs better.

Cheers Ian.