Wher Can I Buy A Folding Cuddy\pram Hood\bow Cover

Rob

I would like to purchase a folding cuddy for my boat. It came with a stern cover which is like a cabin at the back which, despite looking weird it keeps you warm but is no use for fishing.

The manufacturer Terhi does not make a cuddy for my boat but does for a differernt boat in the range - I have managed to borrow one of these the fit is not bad but not 100% as you would expect. Please see pic - obviously I had to bungee and tie it on as the fixings are not on my boat!

1: Do I spend

DSCF0260.JPG

Hi Rob,

I had a separate sprayhood and cockpit enclosure (Tom would call it a conservatory) made by Quay Sales in Poole (as attached).

They measured up, and talked through designs, and did everything from doing the jointed stainless bars, to the canvas work. They even corrected small niggles with the fittings.

While prices were not cheap, and it was delayed slightly beyond the promised date, I was happy with the finished result, and would use Quay Sails again.

Other sailmakers can do similar, from a variety of materials, in different styles. It might be worth getting a few quotes!

Cheers,

Mike

post-6-1182105702jpg

Edited by Mike Fox

Hi Rob

Quay Sails are very friendly helpful people. We've used them a few times for broken zips and the like.

Flexi Covers, also in Poole, make great covers, but getting them to commit to anything this side of 2012 seems to be a challenge and they are grumpy buggers too.

Undercover Awnings in Shirley, Southampton are our mainstay UK manufacturer (we are HQ's in S'ton) and they are the mutz nuts when it comes to covers.

John Heinz owns it and Rob his colleagues does the fitting. Both great guys.

Tom

.....A conservatory? On a sailing boat!!!!! No thank you darling.

Edited by TomBettle

Quote...  and they are grumpy buggers too.

I'll second that Flexicovers are so far up thier own arse it's unbelievable.

Mad Mike

Three time I've contacted them about making a cockpit cover and they've never bothered to get back to me.

Edited by Brian

• 2 months later...

I have been making progress on my folding cuddy (this is Alun J's fault when I saw just how effective they are in turning a crappy day to a comfortable day).

Up to today I have made 4 mock versions out of sheets and the plastic dpm sheet and copper pipe.

I managed to get some 19mm ali tubing which was carefully heated and bent int to shape. 19mm Nylon fittings were sourced from Kayospruce http://www.sailcloth.co.uk/, over by J9 M27.

I have been to see the guys at Ringwood flexi goods (thanks Adam for the contact). Here I sourced 3mx2m of marquee fabric and some clear for windows.

Today I took the plunge and cut out the template in the final material, using a RF Welder at work I hemed the edges, put in some windows and shaped it round the hand rail with some success. Next I need to put fixings on the boat and in the edges of the Cuddy, only after a serious amount of gaffa taping and checking and double checking.

Hope to have it done for the 9th!

Rob

Will add pics soon.

No probs Adam, I am fully experienced in windows - done 3 for myself.

I will gladly do them for you. Its a HF welder not RF!!!! High Frequency, like a microwave between two narrow plates. The same as they use at Ringwood Flexigoods.

I could possibly run over your seams if required! (feel the confidence, anyone would think I had spent more than a couple of hours infront of it, though I had a good teacher!!!!)

Rob

Edited by rob francis

• 1 month later...