Bass Mls Increase Postponned

Les L.

The following written questions will be put to Ben Bradshaw by Bill Wiggin MP on 21/03/07

Ordinary Written question to: Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs for answer on 21/03/2007:

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs what studies his Department have carried out regarding the affect on discards of increasing the Minimum Landing Size of bass to 40cm; and can he make a statement?.

Ordinary Written question to: Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs for answer on 21/03/2007:

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs what evidence will he be considering before fulfilling his commitment to increase to Minimum Landing Size for bass?.

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs for what reasons did he abandon his plans to increase the Minimum Landing Size of bass to 40cm from 6 April 2007?.

Charles Clover will by writing a piece in the Telegraph, hopefully for inclusion tomorrow.

Minister delays increase in BASS MLS

Although not formally announced yet, it is common knowledge, confirmed by DEFRA officials, that following a presentation by representatives of the commercial fishing industry last week the minister, Mr Bradshaw, has decided to delay the start date of the increased mls for Bass while he reviews the evidence placed before him.

We understand from Defra officials that within the next few days we (the RSA community) will be formally advised of the decision, which apparently is largely based on the commercial view on discard levels under the new mls. We also understand that with the announcement will be copies of the latest information from CEFAS on Bass discards. All organisations involved in the topic to date will then be given the opportunity to submit new evidence relevant to the decision before a final decision is taken by the Minister. No one can say how long the process will take.

Once the NFSA has the formal decision letter and CEFAS information it will actively support the decision to raise the mls in any way it can, working closely with the BASS organisation in the process and to best effect. Exactly what form that support will take can only be decided after consultation with BASS.

Richard Ferre. Chairman NFSA.

How many attempts does a minister need to make a decision.

If you ask me its total incompetence, they should have got all the information needed prior to making the original decision.

How many times does he want paying to do one job. If I have to do a job second time around cause I cocked it up the first time, I don

Well said Martin

I know who i won't be voting for

There is alot of talk of how to react, some are choosing a political stance others want more direct action.

Im angry as hell but don't know how to vent it just yet.

We do have a perfect opportunity to get a message to Defra when they visit in April and i will pass on any suggestions that i get from B.A.SS as soon as their angry debates come to a conclusion

PJ

Edited by Paul J

please support the petition below, it takes about 20 seconds

Cheers

PJ

This petition is aimed to get the government to raise the Minimum Landing Size for Bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) to 45cm. This would allow every fish to spawn at least once and allow us to move to a more sustainable Bass stock. We also urge the government to lobby the EU to introduce the MLS in all member states.

BASS Petition