4 Stroke V 2 Stroke

Paul D

You will hear most ETEC owners mention the Fun Factor, kind of like owning a sports car v's a 4X4- a crude comparison i know.

The only downside for me is that the ETEC is noisier (slightly) and this may be an issue when fishing the shallows for Bass. Having said that i've been told that 4 strokes are just as noisy under water anyway.

PJ

Time for an anecdotal story I think!

I have been a member of a local dive club for 30 years and for all that time the club has used 2 stroke Mariner outboards on its boats with virtually no major repair bills. These engines are never washed out after use, get extremely hard use and have been totally reliable throughout. With all the advertising hype about 4 stroke OB engines promoting reliability, low noise, low emissions and good fuel economy both myself and my dive buddy of 30yrs specified 4 strokes on our boats. My dive buddy went for the twin Mariner 40 set up and I went for the 75 Mercury. We both wash out our engines after every trip have them serviced professionally every year etc, etc and yet this year we have both had major strip and re-builds required due to corrosion. These are on engines that are 4 and 3 years old respectively so from our personal experiences we are not very impressed and will be going back to 2 strokes.

I know it

I cant see how corrosion would be any more prevalent in a 4 stroke V's a 2 stroke.

Certainly there could be a differance in the alloys used by one manufacturer against that of another and I believe that in the name of efficiency and cost castings may be thinner than before. But high corrosion purely because an engine is a 4 stroke????

Mad Mike

Well thousands of inboard petrol & diesels do.

What I do think is a pertinant point is the newness of the technology as it was 5 years or so ago, actualy 25 years if you count the little 7.5 Honda O/B introduced in the 70's. For some reason the manufacturers of 4 strokes produced castings that were prone to cold spots/hot spots/ and impingement corrosion. It was these castings that caused the problems not that the engines were 4 strokes.

High humidity makes all ICE more efficient and air pre filtering removes any salt content. Having said that look at the air intake of any old Seagull! No filter and an updraft carb set about 12" up from the water. Some of these engines are still going at 50 years old!

Mad Mie

Oh dear me and I never knew!!! mad.gif

The point is that the air taken in for combustion has bugger all to do with the internal corrosion of coolant waterways! mad.gif This whole topic is now in the realms of those that want to score points based on not a lot of knowledge of the subject. So include me out.

Madder than usual Mike

4 stroke / 2 stroke whatever.

The fact that the dive boats lasted for ages is more likely to be to do with the fact that they were getting almost commercial levels of usage (?).

Ignoring petrol outboards for a moment, take a look at marie diesel engines.

A charter fishing boat may run an engine for, say, 10,000 hours without a major rebuild. They will be serviced and the oil checked, but the engines go on for ages.

The very same engine in a pleasure craft may require major work in less than a thousand hours.

Typically anything in the water actually wants to be used and suffers more from the kind of "sitting" around that pleasure boaters give their engines.

This may be why the dive boat engines faired so well against the privately owned four strokes?

Reading Fugazi's earlier description of the problem with his engine, I think some are jumping down the wrong path assuming the problem was corrosion of the waterways.

His problem ( as described in an earlier post ) was corrosion of a washer causing the water to enter the crankcase and mix with the oil.

I hear the cries of "what has this to do with engine being 4 stroke or 2 stroke" and indeed this probably has nothing to do with the fact the engine was 4 stroke ( although I can think of many reasons it would have a worst affect on a 4 stroke than a 2 stroke engine, but will leave that to those who evidently have superior knowledge on the subject ).

However, it cannot be disputed that the rebuild process does incur far more cost. ( says Paul D with his last Honda bill for

• 4 weeks later...

Gordon

If you are talking TV's then depends on the size.

If under 40" go LCD, over 40" Plasma BUT make sure you take out some insurance on plasma screens as they tend to be more un-reliable with picture problems after a year or two. Repair costs are !!***!!!

We had a good hard look into these when we bought our TV last year. Ended up with a Toshiba LCD without freeview built in as we have Sky and saved some

I'll agree with that advice. We opted for a Sony in the end and well pleased with it.

My sister has a Panasonic plasma screen ( awesome picture ) but they are prone to screen burn and I think they use more power as well. There is a general trend towards LCD, even in the larger screen sizes.

Another thing - if you have Sky then HD is superb quality to watch BUT there are hardly any channels available on HD yet, so IMHO ( and I think Nipper's ) it is not worth the

Thanks guys,

After a weekend wandering around the various electricals and deciding yes I'll take that one, only to be told "its out of stock" I got on the internet and ordered a Plasma. Not enough HD programs being broadcast yet to justify the cost of a 1080p LCD, although they do look fantastic. Can't wait to watch Matt and Henry fishing on the BIG screen as soon as it arrives. biggrin.gif

Gordon H

• 5 years later...

Interesting trawling through these old threads.

Etec still running ok on Neo ( well,was last time she was out months ago )

Thinking I could do with a service as it is 3 years nice last one.

Problems experienced to date

[li]Gasket leak - repaired under warranty[/li]

[li]broken catch on cover -repaired under warranty[/Li]

[li]tacho stopped working[/li]

Two services can't recall exact cost but was less than the annual one I needed on the Honda

6 years in and all ok so far.

Ps. I have to say all is well as actually considering selling Neo :)