4 Stroke V 2 Stroke

Paul D

Better make sure you tow me with the rope tied to my bow then Paul. tongue.gif

Obviously a very biased test. Most 2 strokes will pick up quicker than a similar sized 4 stroke, and in this type of test whoever gets moving forward first will win.

It doesn't reveal the torque differences at cruising speeds.

BF

Paul has 40 Etec horses to my Yam 30.

....... but I'm interested in how they fare over the many years of service.

My previous Yam 15 perfomed faultlessly for the 4 + years I had it [ and hope it still does for Dave ]

........ and I'm well impressed so far with this one............and it's quieter than Paul's Etec !

Alun.

I am with Alun on this one.

I would personally purchase a 4 stroke any day over an E-Tec. This is not based on anything other than a concern as to how they will fare season after season.

I don't drive a race boat and so need 2 stroke performance. I'd much rather have the quietness, smoothness and KNOWN reliability of a proven 4 stroke.

My opinion may change in ten years time once E-Tec have proven themselves, but if I was buying an outboard again tomorrow it would 100% be a 4 stroke.

I had a 4 stroke Honda of "known" reliability.

Having had to have the carbs cleaned out twice and spending fortunes on servicing etc. I am glad I havent gone the same route.

Engine was 7 years old.

Agreed it is a bit of a gamble, but 1 year in, so far, so good. See you in 5 years Alun smile.gif

In the meantime would you like a tow laugh.gifbiggrin.gif

PS; I only put it on here lightheartedly. 2 Stroke V 4 stroke - each have their disadvantages / advantages.

Of course Paul ! ........ and tow , only when required [ hopefully never!].

Back to your previous Honda.......... you don't know how it was treated before coming into your careful ownership .......running in / lack of service / dirty fuel / overheating due to water intake obstruction / bumps etc. etc.

As you say........we're all interested in the longer term..... so we'll see

.......and you might be asking me for a tow home !!

Alun.

Think about Gordon Holt. He has just incured a major bill for corrosion damage.

All engines will respond to the right treatment but ther are a number of points

1. 2 stroke technology has been around for many years so the general engineering is a proven salt water tool. Like all engine technology the sweetness of running will be down to fuel management.

2. 4 Stroke is a reletive new technology for outboards and is early days yet. But even now there are a few stories about carburetor models not playing the game. Again the modern injection models run like a dream.

3. Gordon's corrosion problem is not uncommon, I have heard a few stories of a similar nature.

4. When all the debate is finished, the reality is, if a 4 stroke and a 2 stroke went in for an engine rebuild, the 4 stroke is going to be far more expensive because the labour costs are so high due to the number of parts and skill levels required to rebuild them

I stand with Paul D. With the new fuel management systems on the modern 2 stroke its a no brainer

Gordon M blink.gif

nope you are all wrong! Gas Turbine, thats the way forward.

runs on esso blue 25p a litre,

only one moving part,

if you fit afterburners you can cook sausages.

I know what i'm buying next time.

Simon L

Simon

If you can recall Esso Blue and the little flame guy, I expect to see you running around with a "Tiger in your Tank" tail flying from the VHF aerial laugh.giflaugh.gif

Coddy

cool.gif

If you can recall Esso Blue and the little flame guy, I expect to see you running around with a "Tiger in your Tank" tail flying from the VHF aerial  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

Oh yes and i remember collecting lots of vouchers with Tiger points, so that i could collect a prized set of tumblers made from old windscreens that shattered into about 8 billion pieces if you dropped them. biggrin.gif

Simon L

post-6-1169509599jpg

My Grandfather on Mums side, God rest his soul, was the brain behind the Esso, as it was back then, not Exxon, Put a Tiger In Your Tank slogon and designed the first tiger cartoon for them. He actually sufferred a heart attack at his drawing board in Esso Fawley, and died shortly afterwards.

Unfortunately, not being a privateer, he wasnt able to licnse this work, and was paid no royalties.

However, I'm with the afterburner on this one, good use of excess burn, fat boys rule, OK??

Lard.

Oh dear,

What about the environment.

It's all well and good BBQ'ing sausages on yor exhaust outlet, but Mr Brown won't like those carbon emissions.

I bet he recommissions Concorde to fly from Number 11 (maybe 10 by then) to Poole harbour to give you a stern ticking off and raise taxes on Esso Blue to be even dearer than all the rest of our fuels.

In all seriousness, in the industry those of us that deal in four strokes really loathe 2 strokes from a resale point of view. I really have no professional justification for it apart from they have next to no value on the resale market.

If two identical boats came in to me on px and they both appeared to have been used and treated the same. The boat with the four stroke would be considerably more attractive to me and command a far better selling price.

Tom

I think we should all harness dolphins to our bows, and tell them to change direction, speed up and slow down by uttering a series of clicks and whistles.

They would soon learn where we want to go and how fast (in fact, they could take us straight to the fish) and it would be like autopilot.

Sorry, I just had a strong coffee...

Edited by charlieannear

I think we should all harness dolphins to our bows, and tell them to change direction, speed up and slow down by uttering a series of clicks and whistles.

They would soon learn where we want to go and how fast (in fact, they could take us straight to the fish) and it would be like autopilot.

Sorry, I just had a strong coffee...

Now now Mother.

Don't let the lad have no more of those fizzy pops.

I really have no professional justification for it apart from they have next to no value on the resale market

The guy who PJ bought his E-Tec from had no problem shifting 3 of them in as many days and it certainly was not for next to no value !

Admittedly I think that Neo would go for more if fitted with a 4 stroke as opposed to a 2 stroke E-Tec, but I know which one I would prefer to have fun wise ( and after all that is why I have a boat ) and I am less concerned that I might get say another

This is getting very predictable. Over the years selling cars I have heard every car under the sun (including Skodas) defended as a wise choice and superb value BY THOSE THAT OWN THEM irrespective of the facts of the market place.

Only time will tell which type of engine will have the best resale value and help to sell a boat.

Personally I think that 'what engine' is quite reliant on 'what boat'. A small light boat IMO would be more fun as Paul says with an immediate engine response and a quick shove out of the hole. Larger heavy semi planing hulls like the medium and larger sized wheel house craft need longer to gain inertia and trying to bump them on the plane by the brute force of 150 screaming 2 stroke horses is a bit gauche to say the least. A 4 strokes power curve is more suitable to this sort of craft.

It is a case of horses for courses, not 2 V's 4 stroke.

Mad Mike

Hmmm

How much fuel did that lot burn? sick.gif

I thought I heard a slight misfire on No.3 engine or it could be one of the 24 spark plugs breaking down! laugh.gif

Just think how a prop repair shop would love to hear that you tried to get out/in over Christchurch bar at low water! wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Coddy

cool.gif