Quicksilver 640 ?

Afishionado

mike

if it's a brunswick motor then the Optimax is the one to go for.

personally it would be a no brainer for me - the 135 everytime. It's the start of the v6 range and has so much more smoothness (and redundancy in it's configeration) compared to the triples and 4 (125).

I ran a non optimax Merc on my 660 - 175......... rolleyes.gif ..........which gave me a nice 54knot top end - but burnt a lot of fuel at that ! However it was significantly more frugal at 20/30 knots than the 125 at the same speed because of the consumption/rev curve on these ob petrol engines

duncan

Ah I should have said ......

The pre 2007 range of the Quicksilver 640 configuration were rated to 115hp

BUT the 2007 is only rated at 100hp. Why? No one seems to know???????? ph34r.gif

Mad Mike

PS what is this I hear about the sale of 2 strokes not already in stock at the dealer being being banned as of 1.1.07? Also that some authorities (Thames Water, National Trust, Norfolk Broads and some councils) have or are banning the use of 2 strokes on the waters they control ?

Mad Mike

PS what is this I hear about the sale of 2 strokes not already in stock at the dealer being being banned as of 1.1.07? Also that some authorities (Thames Water, National Trust, Norfolk Broads and some councils) have or are banning the use of 2 strokes on the waters they control

As far as I know, 2 strokes as we know then in the'old' guise cant be made anymore - emisions thingy....

Non generation 2 stokes - Etec etc can be as can the Optimax etc...

If you can find any old gen 2's in stoke still they will be like chips - cheap.

Personally I dont know why anyone would want an old 2 though...the new gen 2's yes - and the 4's - yes.

Adam says........

Non generation 2 stokes - Etec etc can be as can the Optimax etc...

Apparantly this is or may become a grey area.

The person that I got the info from made a very interesting point, namely.........

Are we boat owners and users going to be put upon by ill informed bureaucrats and local councils pushing a green world for political milage, who might be persuaded to blanket ban all 2 strokes?

Answers on a

I think your supplier is trying to wrong foot you. The new gen 2 strokes are here to stay, while the old 2 strokes are illegal, only to make but not for sale or old ones. Yes it might be that one day they will ban even the new 2 stroke (personally I can't see it) but such ban are usually no restrospective, only on newly made engines.

I think your supplier is trying to wrong foot you. The new gen 2 strokes are here to stay, while the old 2 strokes are illegal, only to make but not for sale or old ones. Yes it might be that one day they will ban even the new 2 stroke (personally I can't see it) but such ban are usually no restrospective, only on newly made engines.

It was not the supplier making the point Kam, it was a member of another boat fishing forum. And I think he made a fair point in as much as local councils and local authorities are often hijacked by very PC left wing prats. It is entierly concievable that say Purbeck council bans all 2 strokes from the waters they have control over. The sort of people that would support such a ban are not so rational that they would understand the difference between an Etec and a 2t.

Mad Mike

Mike - whilst I am not suggestig there isn't a place for your paranoia; I think it's misplaced here.

Here's the logic supporting that view -

1. If 'they' are that illogical they will just ban all internal combustion engines - why would they stop at 2's?

2. There are increasingly stringent emmission tests being put in place ie this is not a stagnant situation that might be viewed as needing a kickstart by environmenatlists or others of a similar persuasion.

3. If it starts anywhere it will be inland, resovoirs or similar.

4. There is no suggestion that IC engines pollute the local waters directly - only via general air/atmospheric pollution. Again reducing the likely targeting. Indeed if there was to be such a move it would already have happened in relation to commercial vessels using antifoulings that are banned (for environmental reasons) for use by leisure craft.

but then - anything can happen.....................

but then - anything can happen.....................

You said it Duncan biggrin.gif

I was not getting paranoid as I was there already unsure.gif

Any way .... I was suprised that Outboard 2 strokes were targeted in the first place. Looking at the Diesel clouds still exuded by lorries all over Europe I would have thought they would have been a more worthwhile target.

A bit like TBT antifoul, banned for pleasure boating yet still used by the million gallons for most of the worlds commercial shipping. At the time I remember reading that the whole of the UK's leisure industries use of TBT amounted to one annual repaint for a Very Large Container Ship that one could see gliding up Southampton Water.

Mad Mike

diesels already done too - you can't buy a new KAD volvo! (well you can but they don't make them for Europe anymore!

here's one reason to get a decent engine - here's my previous fishing boat...........

user posted image

Edited by duncan

Mike,

Have you looked at the Quicksilver 630SD??

It is basically the same boat as the 640 but comes with a 1.7DTI Mercrusier Stern Drive diesel - performance is still rapid and as you are on a mooring it makes little differance (IMO) plus you get the better economy and cheaper fuel - well for the moment anyway....

Resale value also likey to be reasonable too...

Mike,

I actually replied to the person who made the "all 2 strokes are to be banned" post on the WSF forum ( it is OK to mention them here smile.gif ).

He is completely misinformed and to perfectly honest this is the sort of garbage which is commonly spread around on the internet.

There is no way that a particular engine technology will be banned. The legislation is placing limits on the emissions being made. The new generation E-Tec and Optimax meet these emissions standards ( and some more ). The writer of the other post was trying to state he had bought a 4 stroke because althought the E-Tec meets the emissions standards currently what if it doesn't in the future.

This is a flawed argument as exactly the same argument could be put forward for the 4 stroke he bought.

Forums are great but you certainly need to sort through the wheat from the chaff.

PS: Banning old style 2 strokes makes a lot of sense. They are horrendous pollutors - Around 25% of the fuel is effectively dumped straight out into the water along with the unburnt oil.

hi mike i emailed it to you if you did not get it i will do it again when i get home as i am in reading at the mo .

mark b

HI Mark and Happy new year etc.

I got it OK, I discovered it hiding in my spam stopper because it did not recognise your address.

Now I have it and read it it has caused further research, some of which sugests that the Quicksilver dealer in Poole is not the most 'proactive, get in there and fight your corner', dealer one could want. Another Qksliver owner who bought in Essex had is boat changed by the dealer even after a year of less probs than you did, and they threw in a load of goodies on the new boat as compensation for the problems.

Mad Mike

Mike,

I actually replied to the person who made the "all 2 strokes are to be banned" post on the WSF forum ( it is OK to mention them here smile.gif ).

He is completely misinformed and to perfectly honest this is the sort of garbage which is commonly spread around on the internet.

There is no way that a particular engine technology will be banned. The legislation is placing limits on the emissions being made. The new generation E-Tec and Optimax meet these emissions standards ( and some more ). The writer of the other post was trying to state he had bought a 4 stroke because althought the E-Tec meets the emissions standards currently what if it doesn't in the future.

This is a flawed argument as exactly the same argument could be put forward for the 4 stroke he bought.

Forums are great but you certainly need to sort through the wheat from the chaff.

PS: Banning old style 2 strokes makes a lot of sense. They are horrendous pollutors - Around 25% of the fuel is effectively dumped straight out into the water along with the unburnt oil.

I think you have summed up this line of discussion nicely Paul.

And Oh Boy biggrin.gif do some get off thread even when asked a simple question.

Mad Mike

Can you remember what boat and engine you were going to buy? laugh.gif

At the moment no! laugh.gif No Joke!! laugh.gif

The syndicate (Mark and I + Carol) have decided to go to the boat show and look again at the 21ft wheelhouse fisher range offered by various manufacturers. We are still 95% posative on the Quicksniveler and more than likely the Merc 4 stroke if it is a '07 model with the Verado mods. However we feel that we must at the end of the day be able to say we did our homework and reviewed everything that was on the market.

Not sure of which day we will go but there could be a spare seat in the car if anyone wants a cheap round trip.

Mad Mike

Hi Mike

I've just logged on and seen all this lot.

I have just replied to your email (before reading all of this) and hopefully you will start getting some ideas.

I am not going to go into one on here, but be very careful about what you buy and read everybodies advice first.

Outside space is great, but are you likely to be seriously fishing with more than three of you anyway? I am thinking of a major wreck trip here rather than maybe taking the kids mackereling.

Finally, and this is pure guess and not factual, I would think the transom has been downrated to 100Hp for 2007 640's as the bigger engines have been damaging the boats due to their build.

Quicksilver are part of what is known as Barrus who also distribute Mercury / Mariner.

As a result the best packages, without a doubt, will be with one of these engines.

Tom

PS: Call on my mobile if you have any questions about the bits in my email

PPS: I mentioned I'd let you have a pair,but seeing as you are 3 then that will be fine (I hope that makes sense).